walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime..but only just

Beinn Ime..but only just

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:53 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 05/02/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 1072m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Again I was joined on my walk by my son Craig (he still hasn't had a haircut) and when we left the house this morning we were heading for SE hills, but whilst driving up M73 heard forcast for extremely high winds out on east side, so desided to turn and to West. Have you ever tried to head back towards Glasgow after diverting off A80 at current roadworks, what a nightmare....we ended up in the Motorway contractors compound.

Once we eventually found the way back onto the M80 towards Glasgow and M8 we headed across Erskine Bridge and up A82 towards Arrochar Alps and Beinn Ime. Arrived in car park at Succoth (NN295048) at approx 8.45am and got kitted up for the days walk......by the way the parking meter seems to have gone from carpark, and there is a for sale sign in situe.

After setting off up ZZ track to bench at (NN289046) it was desided that we would miss out the next set of ZZ's and continue along track past radio mast to woodland track at (NN284043) for our route of assent.
P1010108.JPG
Looking down woodland track that runs from NN284043
P1010109.JPG
Woodland track with Ben Lomond in distance
P1010110.JPG
Upstream view of burn that ruins parallel to track
P1010111.JPG
Downstream view
P1010112.JPG
Craig trying to fathom how his camera works...there was a nice wee summer bathing pool at this spot

After a bit of a wet / boggy assent through woods, we emerged at approx (NN284044) and continued up fire break towards dam at (NN279050) where we forded Allt a' Bhalachain a little further up stream and rejoined main track past Narnain boulders.
P1010113.JPG
1st view of Narnain as we exited woodland track
P1010114.JPG
The mysterious Ben Arthur
P1010115.JPG
East side of The Cobbler viewed from Coire a' Bhalachain track
Eventually Beinn Ime (or a portion of) came into view
P1010118.JPG
1st real view of Beinn Ime

Just about where tracks split for Cobbler / Narnain & Ime (NN262065) it started to snow lightly and as we trudged up Ime it really started to snow
P1010119.JPG
It's snowing Craig...taken from 700m (NN259073) with Narnain & Cobbler fading behind
and by the time we reached 750m height the snow completly hid Narnain & Cobbler from view. We continued onwards and upwards and eventually took shelter at rocks at 850m height (NN258079) in order to get out of the driving snow to take some sustenance.
P1010120.JPG
At 850m NN258079 as we sheltered behind rock face
P1010121.JPG
Still at 850m
The snow relented some what only to be replaced by major spindrift and visibility was down to a few metres and so continued upwards until we reached lower summit cairn by which time with spindrift and cloud we could only see down approx two metres and couldn't see correct summit after a bit of head scratching on which way to go, the wind subsided as did the spindrift and way forward was visible, so we set off again in direction of summit.
P1010123.JPG
Craig at Summit Cairn
P1010125.JPG
East(ish) taken from summit cairn
After the summit photo's, it was down asap to somewhere we could enjoy a hot cuppa......the desent included yours truely having a major two foot slip, which knocked the wind out of me, and a couple of intentional good bum slides and soon we were back at the
Bealach a' Mhaim
P1010127.JPG
Ben Vane ?? from Bealach a' Mhaim on desent
where we continued further down track to enjoy our tea sheltered by Narnain boulders....well I enjoyed some of Craig's tea because I broke my flask (must have been when I slipped) thereafter it was down remainder of track inclusive of ZZ's and back to the car and home.
My first real winter walk I would say.....intense at times but extremely enjoyable.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Bruadair on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Beinn Ime..but only just

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 am

Wow, all that snow 8)

Great pictures :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby fingeez » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:20 am

nice report and pics :)

Maybe shoould have gone east like you first planned. I was up Glenshee way today and although there was a fair bit of wind, it wasnt too bad, but cloud was high up and good few spots of blue sky and bright sunshine :):)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 am

The two footed flask breaker could have broken something worse :shock: great pics and report - thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 am

Merry-walker wrote:Wow, all that snow 8)

Great pictures :)

Thanks MW.

Reagrds.................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:32 am

fingeez wrote:nice report and pics :)

Maybe shoould have gone east like you first planned. I was up Glenshee way today and although there was a fair bit of wind, it wasnt too bad, but cloud was high up and good few spots of blue sky and bright sunshine :):)

Ross

Cheers Ross,

To be honest a few times I called off walking because of such weather and then wondered what if afterwards, so I'm quite glad I went West and was able to tick that box.

Regards.................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 am

ChrisW wrote:The two footed flask breaker could have broken something worse :shock: great pics and report - thanks for posting :D

Thanks for your comments CW................. I should have put a bar of toffee in my back pocket as I don't think the flask breaker thing will catch on.

Regards..............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

Good work getting to the top in that white out.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Good work getting to the top in that white out.

Thanks Gammy...... I see you & Stretch had a bit of a fun day yesterday.....the vid had me in stitches.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby pruney84 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

Good report Bruadair, some great photo's too, looked pretty wild when it was snowing!!!

I look forward to doing the rest of the Arrochar Alps sometime soon!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland