walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Tumps in a windfarm

3 Tumps in a windfarm

Postby rob munbett » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm

Date walked: 04/07/2020

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 630m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I parked up in an excellent space on the minor road to the east of Abington right opposite the good track up the glen beside the Raggengill Burn. Near the high point of this path an ATV track headed off up the broad shoulder of Tewsgill Hill, leading virtually all the way to the summit trig.
P1040431.JPG
Heading up to Tewsgill Hill (centre)
I paused here for a few photos but not for too long - there was a plague of flies determined to get into every orifice!
P1040418.JPG
Tewsgill trig looking over to Tinto

From this summit, I headed off down a fairly steep grassy slope towards the most westerly wind turbine where I picked up the windfarm road over to Hawkwood Hill where there was more of a breeze to keep the flies at bay so i was able to munch a quick snack without fear of added 'ingredients'.
Then there was a steep descent and re ascent to reach the summit cairn of Rome Hill which was located on rough heathery ground between the turbines.
P1040424.JPG
Looking over to Rome Hill
P1040428.JPG
The summit of Rome Hill looking over to Hawkwood and Tewsgill Hills

The route back to the car was a bit of a pain as I had to go back over the first two hills so there was more ascending than my sore knee was happy about (still waiting for the surgery postponed by covid!) Still, the descent from Tewsgill was very easy and pleasant.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland