walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dodging the showers at Abriachan

Dodging the showers at Abriachan

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Route description: Abriachan Trails

Date walked: 05/07/2020

Time taken: 2.45 hours

Distance: 11.93 km

Ascent: 506m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had had bigger plans, but following a 73km cycle in search of ice-cream the day before, a drive up north the night before that and the fact that the weather was looking a bit rubbish we never really got going. I was also needing to be careful not to overdo it and had plans to get out the next day anyway (yay for school holidays!) but eventually Malky put his foot down and said we were going out :lol:

We had to jump his car off mine (it had been sitting for over 4 months :lol: ) and pump up a tyre, but eventually we were off and parked up at Abriachan gardens. We waited out a heavy shower before heading off up the path 8)

It was a decent path but I was glad I’d worn my boots as the grass was very wet and would have soaked my trail shoes in seconds :roll:

It was a relatively gradual climb initially but soon we started going uphill much more steeply – a few breaks in the trees gave a glimpse of what was coming….

My poor covid-destroyed lungs were insisting we take it easy, but eventually we reached a view-point where were able to enjoy the views down Loch Ness (thank goodness, an excuse for a rest!!)

After what felt like a long climb we came out on a track – this was a potential turnaround point, but I felt ok so we decided to continue…. The track made for even easier walking (it was also not too uphill :lol: )

It was a beautiful afternoon despite the threat of rain

Looking over to the Marilyn Meall na h-Eilrig – this was definitely one within cycle range of Inverness, but probably not while trying to recover :lol:

We joined onto the Great Glen Way around here and it led us easily across the hillside

We left the Great Glen Way after a while and took a smaller path which had some cool wooden carvings, including a nice bench where I had a nice break :lol:

From here the path climbed up the back of Carn na Leitre. As we gained height the views opened out, although my rubbish phone camera wasn’t really able to pick out much detail sadly :roll:

Showers hitting Beinn a’ Bha’ach Ard

Little Wyvis and Ben Wyvis in the cloud

Malky enjoying himself :lol:

Some very atmospheric clouds over Meall Fuar-mhonaid

We reached the summit of Carn na Leitre

Malky decided to recreate a slightly colder version of a disturbing moment from a year ago, but I’ve been banned from posting the photos :lol:

Looking down towards Dores at the northern tip of Loch Ness

We picked up the Peat Path which led us easily downwards – we could see a lot of grey skies around and wanted to reach the relative shelter of the trees before it hit!

We came across a wee howff

We went for a peek inside – it had benches inside and would be a great shelter from bad weather or for a picnic 8)

Definitely more suited to short people though :lol:

There was a cool painting on the inside of the door too!

We dropped back into the trees meeting a forest track where we turned left (turns out we should have gone the other way :roll: )

We didn’t quite come out where planned and ended up walking a short section down the road – it wasn’t a big deal as it was a small quiet road, but it was super steep downhill and my feet were started to hurt in my boots :lol:

We picked up another path by a waterfall (sadly couldn’t quite see it) which took us back to our outward path

From here it was a couple of minutes back to the car (which fortunately started!) and we managed to get a few miles up the road before the rain hit – pretty decent timing!!

Fingers crossed I’d be able to get out again the next day as the forecast was looking pretty good 8)

Abriachan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Dodging the showers at Abriachan

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 pm

A very disturbing link in that report. :shock:

Some things you just can't unsee! :lol:
Sunset tripper

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:A very disturbing link in that report. :shock:

Some things you just can't unsee! :lol:

Tell me about it :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Many years ago, when I was a nipper, the "old man" and me would travel up from East Sussex for a fortnight annoying other holidaymakers and locals alike towing a caravan around Scotland. The middle weekend was always a trip to the "old man's" buddies in and around Kiltarlity. Lots of place names evoke memories of those trips, including Abriachan. We never really explored beyond the roadside though, which is a bit of a shame. Been living in Scotland myself 15 years now and never returned to the area once.....perhaps I should.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland