walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Choices, Choices Choices......................

Choices, Choices Choices......................

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Route description: Angus Coast: Broughty Ferry to Carnoustie

Date walked: 07/07/2020

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 47.4 km

Ascent: 334m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well the ban is lifted, I can now travel anywhere for my walking. For months I've been checking my hills "to do" list and pouring over maps for hours at night agonising over where to start. So, where to go, the Cairngorms, the North West, Skye, no, I headed for Dundee :shock: :shock: :shock:

At around 7am I started at the Tay Rail Bridge.

1.JPG
Tay Rail Bridge

The sky was a bit overcast and by the water it was cool (at least for July), The walk along riverside was really enjoyable as I shared the path with runners, cyclists and dog walkers.

2.JPG
Tay Road Bridge

It didn't take long to reach the V&A museum.

3.JPG
V&A Museum

4.JPG
V&A Again

Walking under the Tay Road Bridge I now headed for the docks. Not the most picturesque of places but the newish cycle route means I am able to use this rather than having to walk along East Dock Street.

5.JPG

6.JPG

Once clear of the docks I could see Broughty Ferry castle in the distance and there were good views over to Tentsmuir Forest in Fife.

I passed Dundee and Broughty Ferry sailing clubs before reaching Broughty Ferry.This cycle route seems to be really well used with commuters heading for Dundee, not a bad commute and much better than using the roads.

7.JPG
Broughty Ferry Castle

8.JPG
Another view of the castle

It's 8 miles from Broughty Ferry to Carnoustie and it's about as flat as flat gets. You can either keep to the tarmac cycleway or if the tide is out, walk along the beach sections.

11.JPG
Looking back at the route travelled

12.JPG
And the view looking north

The route took me past Monifieth Golf club and the Barry Buddon military camp as the cycleway and railway splits both. There seemed to be some activity at the camp today as I could hear intermittent firing.

13.JPG

Finally, approaching Carnoustie the sun was fully out and the second layer finally came off (unheard of at this time of the year).

14.JPG
Carnoustie GC

The next leg of my walk would take me from Carnoustie to Arbroath and really it's much the same as Broughty Ferry to Carnoustie in as much as it is dead flat, distance wise it's 6.75 miles.

15.JPG
Carnoustie Beach

Before leaving Carnoustie I stopped in a park for a sandwich and was approached twice by a dog (called Solo). He sat right beside me facing me and I got the feeling that he wanted to barter his ball for my sandwiches but he left disappointed as I didn't feel a tennis ball covered in slevers was a fair price to pay for cheese and jam sandwiches.

The route took me past West and East Haven with the cycle route between the two villages moving slightly inland and running parallel with the road.

16.JPG

17.JPG
Looking back towards East Haven

All that was left now was a short walk to Arbroath.

18.JPG
Approaching Arbroath

19.JPG
Another empty train

I walked past the Signal Tower museum which was the shore station and family accommodation for the Bell Rock lighthouse (11 miles off shore). Looks interesting and definitely a place to come back to.

20.JPG
Signal Tower Museum

21.JPG
Arbroath Harbour

Having covered about 21 miles it was decision time. Mrs Gordie12 had said I should just phone when I got to Arbroath and she would drive the 9 miles to pick me up but I was feeling good and with plenty of time I decided (stupidly) just to walk home. This would mean a further 9 miles of tarmac in the hottest part of the day but I had made up my mind and headed away from the harbour through Arbroath and towards home using minor roads with very little traffic on them.

To begin with, everything was fine but after a couple of miles I was aware of a burning sensation on the ball of my right foot with similar but less painful symptoms in the left foot. I considered making the call but the further i walked the less point there was to getting a lift so just kept going.

22.JPG

23.JPG
Dark skies over the Eastern Cairngorms

24.JPG

And so I made it home but once the approach shoes came off my mistake was obvious and today I am hobbling around the house so it will take a few days before the boots go on. I suppose switching from a daily walk of 5.25 miles to doing 29.5 miles was daft but even with a bit of pain at the end I really enjoyed my day.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I would definitely do it again but maybe in winter next time.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland