walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Buachaille, the long way round

Meall a' Buachaille, the long way round

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 06/07/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21.57 km

Ascent: 886m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With travel restrictions lifted, we had made it to Inverness: Basecamp Malky 8) However, as it was Monday Malky had to work so I thought I’d be considerate and get out from under his feet…. I drove the short distance down through Aviemore and parked up at the tip of Loch Morlich. A few minutes later I was off 8)

The sun was shining and I didn’t think Loch Morlich had ever looked this good 8)

I hopped off the track for a view across the loch, nearly getting wet feet for it :lol:

Meall a’ Buachaille looked an awfully long way away :shock:

The forest trails made for easy walking – I took the left fork and headed around Loch Morlich rather than towards the Lairig Ghru this time!

I was very glad I’d worn my trail shoes – walking around on all the tracks in clumpy boots would have been seriously uncomfortable :lol:

The tracks dropped down to the loch and gave me a great view of Meall a’ Buachaille – still looked bloody miles away :lol:

The woodland was stunningly beautiful and I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere – there weren’t many people around here 8)

I was finding walking on the relative flat to be fine and had to keep slowing myself down, reminding myself that my fitness was destroyed :lol: I came out on the Cairngorm mountain road which gave me a quick glimpse of the Fiacaill Ridge 8)

I followed a small path through woodland and it brought me out at a car park – as I was consulting my map to check which of the many paths was mine (it’s always a bit embarrassing to get lost in a car park :lol: ) a couple of other walkers checked I was ok – I was, but they did inform me that the Allt Mor trail had been closed due to landslips. Fortunately this was the opposite direction to where I was going!

I crossed the Allt Mor at the footbridge before continuing on paths that led me around the back of Glenmore Lodge

At one point I came upon a ford but before I’d had to take shoes off I discovered a bridge a few metres upstream!

Meall a’ Buachaille looking a little closer!

A reminder that it had been quite wet over the last few days, tempting the slugs out!

Foxgloves with flies :lol:

Soon I hit the Ryvoan Pass path which was much busier – plenty of families out for a wander and lots of cyclists. And some big rabbit holes!

I love how the trees have taken over and forced humans to extend the path :lol:

The steep sides of the Ryvoan Pass

A brave couple taking a dip in the Green Lochan (“it’s really warm” he said…she seems to disagree :lol: )

I’d forgotten how much ascent there was to the top of the pass, but it did give some great views looking back 8)

Purple flowers on the heather

At last I’d made it to Ryvoan Bothy – a sign on the door reminded people that the bothy was closed. I stopped to remove some layers as it was hot work :shock:

The way ahead – I caught up with a lady out for a stroll – she was staying near Glenmore and had just come out for a wander.

The colours were beautiful and I was trying to distract myself from the steepness :shock:

Thankfully a slightly easier section :shock:

Looking back

The long and winding road out to Bynack More and eventually the Fords of Avon

Looking across the Ryvoan Pass to Cairn Gorm and the Northern Corries

As I climbed higher I could see down to the Green Lochan

Geal-Charn, Ben Rinnes and Corriehabbie in the distance

The sun hitting Ben Avon 8)

As the path opened out into a bit of a motorway I met a couple of families coming down. The wind was quite brutal here which was making the steep ascent even more difficult :shock: I was finding it really hard work – hard to tell if it’s just lack of fitness or if the stupid virus had done permanent damage; time will tell I guess :shock:

Summit finally in sight

Cairn Gorn and the Northern Corries

Having reached the top I dived into the massive cairn and found some shelter – it was absolutely freezing and windy enough that I was getting blown around :shock:

Bynack More and Ben Avon in the distance

Looking back down the ridge with Ben Rinnes and friends in the distance

The continuation of the ridge – my route ahead

Looking down to Loch Morlich – looks a long way away now!

I sat down to enjoy my sandwiches in my wee sheltered spot and just enjoy being out in the hills. I also thought I’d let Malky know that I was having a good day out while he was at work :lol:

After a while I was joined my a guy who had come down from Inverness – we chatted for a while and it turned out he lived a few hundred metres from Basecamp Malky – it’s a small world :lol:

Eventually I started to get cold and figured I should get moving – I had a long way to go, and Malky said that he and his Dad had taken 6 hours over this route (it would be a bit embarrassing to take longer :lol: )

Sgorr Gaoith starting to appear 8)

I started the steep descent down towards the bealach – the path was quite rubbly and I had to be careful of my knees

Not easy when I kept getting distracted by views :lol:

I ignored the path down to the reindeer centre – I wasn’t wussing out! The onward path was still decent underfoot for the most part here, but I hoped it didn’t deteriorate too much (I’d been promised a good path the whole way :crazy: )

Views off the back across Moray

Loch Garten

After a steep climb I reached Creagan Gorm – my next bump

The sun hitting Ben Avon in the distance

Loch Morlich and the Gorms still taking centre stage

The ridge ahead – boggy section ahead

Looking down to Badaguish

Big rock with Christmas tree growing out of it!

Looking back along the ridge – it was around about here that my hat blew off :lol:

Cool rock formations as I headed for the final bump (shame about the bog in between :shock: )

Looking back along the whole ridge

Loch Morlich

Actually, as it turned out I wasn’t at the end of the ridge – there was a short section at the end before I dropped off

Braeriach and Sgorr Gaoith – even a sliver of Loch Einich peeking out

Looking back to Bynack More

Panorama from the end of the ridge

Carn Eilrig guarding Loch Einich

Braeriach and the entry to the Lairig Ghru

It was time to head down – I was pretty knackered, but fortunately it was all downhill from here!

The path deteriorated on the way down, I managed to get by with almost dry feet – only a few dodgy leaps required :lol:

Looking back up

Finally I was on forest tracks! I sort of ignored the map here as it didn’t really match the tracks anyway and followed my nose through miles and miles and miles of forest

Meall a’ Buachaille

Ever get the feeling you’re being watched?

The Gorms

Wee glimpse of the Fiacaill again

It was a relief to finally hit the Logging Way and then the road. A quick diversion to the shores of Loch Morlich to disturb the ducks was worth it for the early evening light on the Northern Corries (I’ll be up there soon I hope!) before getting back to the car a couple of minutes under the 6 hour mark. Phew :lol:

I had a good stretch out before the drive home – luckily a lot shorter and easier than driving back to Glasgow! Even better I was late enough that Malky had got dinner on :lol: 8)

Meall a Buachaille & Loch Morlich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Meall a' Buachaille, the long way round

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Nice to see you up and running in the northern end of Scotland again :lol: That's some way of doing Meall a' Buachaille! We always treated it as a winter quickie, up and down in 3-4 hours.

We climbed Bynack More last Saturday and walked past the Green Lochan. There were several tents pitched on the eastern end of the loch, but nobody swimming in in. Maybe it was too early in the morning and the occupants of those tents were still asleep. I hope they didn't use the loch as a toilet :?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Very considerate of you to give Malky the space to work in peace. An act of pure selflessness! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:33 pm

Interesting way of walking this hill - trust you not to take the easy way out :wink: Have cycled and walked these tracks many times when in Coylumbridge for holidays - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland