walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Irish Law from Largs (nearly!)

Irish Law from Largs (nearly!)

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Date walked: 10/07/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 510m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have driven past Irish Law and the Knockside Hills many times on my way down to largs but never fancied walking up them from the A760 road. I thought I'd make use of the track/road up from the town to Greeto bridge and take in the Tump Feuside Hill as well. Things started well: an early start and a quiet drive down and the walk up to the bridge and beyond was very pleasant despite the strong wind and the fact that it was on a road. I left the road and headed for Feuside hill and it was then that my troubles began. I am still waiting for a revised date for my knee surgery postponed since April and, while it's not too bad walking on firm surfaces, it's very 'suspect' walking on uneven rough ground - and the terrain over to Feuside was very rough.
P1040473.JPG
Heading over the moorland to Feuside Hill and Irish Law
In hindsight, I should have known better and picked a walk with a good track, which is what I've been doing recently. By the time I had gone over the top of Feuside Hill and down to start of the climb up Little Irish Law I could hardly bear the pain. I sat for a while to rest, more in hope than expectation. It was so frustrating: I could clearly see the summit trig just over 600 metres in distance and about 140 metres of ascent but it was no use.
P1040474.JPG
Looking up Irish Law - the trig is visible!
I had to think about how I could get back to the car - I still had the re-ascent of Feuside Hill and the struggle across the tussocky moorland before reaching the relative security of the road. It was a long, painful walk/hobble back to the car then a drive home for some ice-packs and Ibuprofen gel. Next time no rough stuff!
P1040472 (2).JPG
Pleasant views on the walk out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland