walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe - take two

Beinn Bhuidhe - take two

Postby old danensian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 05/02/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another report on Saturday’s efforts on Beinn Bhuidhe

Down in Warwickshire on Friday morning - the jury was still out on the weather – but the forecasted whiteouts and gales moved a hundred miles or so south. So, Saturday offered the prospect of the cobwebs being blown away and the possibility of a top being reached – especially on discovering that the 40th birthday party we were going up to Glasgow for was in the evening not at lunchtime as I’d originally thought.

Bhuidhe-01.jpg
Down Glen Fyne

Bhuidhe-02.jpg
Why??????

Stroll up Glen Fyne – things look positive – occasional breaks in the high cloud - odd patch of brightness on the slopes above –cottages at Inverchorachan reach –optimism runs high. It was a leisurely stroll at 80 minutes rather than Craig and Andy’s 60.

Bhuidhe-03.jpg
Cottages at Inverchorachan

Steep slope above – pass the waterfalls – glimpse of sun and shirt-sleeves.

Reach the level of the upper waterfall - enthusiasm diluted by sky turning dark - within moments thick wet heavy flakes of snow blow in – within fifteen minutes any vestige of sketchy track and optimism wanes.

Question calling it a day - answered by appearance of a bouncing Rocco, accompanied by Andy and Craig

Welcome company – carry on – snow relents but cloud and wind remain as companions

GPS show we keep running parallel to recommended track – but easy angled rakes, ramps and gullies criss-crossing the crags above give plenty of straightforward options to what might be the ridge above – it proves to be.

Bhuidhe-04.jpg
Ramps, rakes and gullies - upper crags to ridge

Brief glimpse as ridge reached – views back to Pt 901 – and on to the summit

Bhuidhe-05.jpg
Summit ridge of Beinn Bhuidhe

Bhuidhe-06.jpg
Back to Pt 901

But soon visibility disappears again – summit reached – a few shared congratulations

Bhuidhe-07.jpg
Summit of Beinn Bhuidhe

Retreat down the same way to quieter spots for something to eat – and the walk out – and final sting in weather’s tail with rain / hail drenching.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe - take two

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Cracking report Nigel... You definitely secure the position of tour journalist; and great photos; especially like the ramps, rakes, and gullies picture - did we really go up there...?? I think a good job it was largely covered in cloud on the way up!! :)

Great to meet you...
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Congrats on making the most of your trip to Glasgow, I don't envy you the weather but I do envy your spirit :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby old danensian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:24 pm

OK - I didn't tell the full story.

Bhuidhe-08.jpg
Descent from ridge

But there was no photographic evidence of my plunge through the snow into the burn - thank goodness for underfloor heating, my boots stand in the middle of our hall gently simmering.

And I didn't want to embarrass Rocco when he wussed out on the scramble - but then again, four paws aren't always better than two feet.

N
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:16 am

But there was no photographic evidence of my plunge through the snow into the burn

Which in hindsight is a shame... :evil: I've never seen a snow angel three foot deep before... :clap:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Jockstar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Good to see you out and about after our soaking at Glencoe. The dog wasnae put off either though there might be concerns for the humans as to why you were oot on the hills in the first place :lol: :lol: :lol:
The soaking from landing in the burn was close to the same happening at Glencoe..remember us trying to get across the burn which was in spate ! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Stretch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Good stuff Nigel, glad to see you back out on the hills!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Another good report Nigel,will need to get down there soon and add to my list,it"s one thats been giving me an itch now for a wee while :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland