walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty and muddy Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Coire Leith

Misty and muddy Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Coire Leith

Postby maxie23 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 15/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at cairn at the summit of the Lairig an Lochain road at 07.00, got parking space behind a camper van.
I got my gear out very quietly as all the blinds in the van were drawn shut.
Started walking at 07.15, down the road a bit and up the path, which was very well made for the first couple of hundred yards.
Then I plunged into the wet bit, following the line of fence posts.
Made good time and entered the clag and rain at about 800 metres.
Arrived at the summit of Meall Corranaich after an hour and twenty minutes, helped by the tailwind and driving rain.
Not much to see apart from the less than impressive cairn and some sheep, who stared at me as if to say why are you up here in this weather.
Along the ridge and down to the bealach where I was below the clag and got views of terrain of a similar height and a nice view down into Coire Liath.
Then a reasonably gentle climb up to the rounded and flat summit of Meall a Choire Leith.
Sat with my back to the cairn and wind and had a bite to eat.
I took a photograph of my feet, it was the only view I had.
Left the summit and followed a southwest bearing.
It was very disorienting, I could only see about twenty feet in front of me and then everything vanished.
The descent was steep but on a grassy slope.
Eventually I dropped out of the clag and the way down to the burn was clear.
Followed the path round the northwest flank of Meall Corrainich and crossed the Allt Gleann Da-Eig at the dam.
Then it was a squelch through the boggy section to rejoin the ascent path and back to the road.
Only took 4 hours, due to not hanging about in the weather.
Still enjoyed it.

Meall Corranaich and Meall a Coire Leith.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland