walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Commonedge Hill and Seamab Hill from Glen Devon

Commonedge Hill and Seamab Hill from Glen Devon

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Date walked: 18/07/2020

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8.72 km

Ascent: 345m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove up early from Glasgow to Glen Devon to park in the large lay-by at Castlehill Reservoir. I thought this would be a good walk to do today for two reasons: it would be a quiet area, away from the crowds and I still can't take on too much of a walk because of my pending knee surgery. At least I'm still getting out, I suppose.
I set off up the road opposite the parking place and just past Glenquey, I headed through a gate on the left up a good forest road which, initially zig-zagged uphill for a bit before becoming a well-established, gently rising forest track which was very pleasant to walk on.
Glen Devon Pan.JPG
A pan of Glen Devon from the ascent of Auchlinsky Hill
I ignored 2 tracks off to the left and kept on straight up the track till it emerged on to the open hillside close to the 469 summit of Commonedge Hill, where the views to the south and east were very rewarding. I decided not to pause as the wind was strong and chill and I headed along a very pleasant grassy track over to Seamab Hill - a most enjoyable stroll over.
P1040484.JPG
Looking over to Seamab Hill from Commonedge Hill
P1040485.JPG
The summit of Seamab Hill looking back to Commonedge Hill

Now, I headed down another path to the edge of the forest plantation and looked out for the 'forest walk' tracks that I had read about when doing my research. These green and brown waymarked tracks led through the woods and bracken all the way back to the road just below Glenquey. From here it was just a gentle stroll down the metalled road to the car and home for the usual ice-packs and Ibuprofen!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland