walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finishing Off The Crianlarich Hills + Bonus Rannoch Views

Finishing Off The Crianlarich Hills + Bonus Rannoch Views

Postby Raynor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 18/07/2020

Time taken: 5.88 hours

Distance: 19.4 km

Ascent: 1480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cruach Ardrian + Beinn Tulaichean

4.96 hours 16.4km 1288m ascent

Not a huge amount to say about this trip other than I finally got some summit views!

Last Saturday I had bagged the neighbouring munros An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin. I had messed up the forecast that day unfortunately and did the majority of the walk in clag and rain, so couldn't see a whole lot. Today the forecast looked much better, so I got parked up again in the Glen Falloch layby. It was very busy but I managed to squeeze the car in opposite the abandoned caravan. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

From reading my munro book, I was looking for a bridge across the river and a supposedly very obvious eroded path up to the grey heights ridge. I headed up the hydro track and after walking quite a while I saw no sign of the bridge or the supposedly obvious path. I realised I had probably come way too far up the track so I just crossed the river and started heading up the pathless hillside. It was pretty steep and hard going and took the best part of an hour before I got up to Meall Dhamh and the path I was looking for. A couple who were just in front of me seemed to think I knew what I was doing and it looked like they were starting to follow me up the pathless near vertical ascent :lol: Luckily a group coming down gave them proper directions. Pretty sure they were doing the other 2 hills anyway!

Things were looking good on the surrounding hilltops. An Caistel and Beinn a Chroin clear on top and looking fantastic.

IMG_20200718_134932.jpg

Finally a bit of flat after a steep ascent. Almost at the actual path here.

IMG_20200718_134944.jpg

The weather was doing a lot of weird things. One moment it would be sunny t-shirt weather then storms would blow in with rain showers and strong winds.

I made it to the summit of Cruach Ardrain which was clear but extremely windy. Some other people were huddled down taking shelter behind the top so I just continued on to the next hill. It was almost hat and gloves weather at the summit :shock:

Next up was Beinn Tulaichean. It looked quite close with not too much descent and ascent needed. Not sure why the book suggests doing these two separately. Possibly as there is a fair bit of reclimbing Cruach Ardrain on the way back but it's no big deal.

IMG_20200718_145759.jpg

Thing became rather wet and the waterproofs went on. Most of the surrounding peaks were in the clouds now apart from the summit I was at 8)

Ben More + Stob Binnean in the clouds

IMG_20200718_151459.jpg

IMG_20200718_151514.jpg

I had a food break at the summit of Tulaichean and tried to hide from the wind.

IMG_20200718_151524.jpg

Looking back to Ardrain. I had narrowly missed the cloudfest that was now happening.

IMG_20200718_151957.jpg

After heading backing and doing the short bit of reascent, I followed the path back along the ridge towards grey heights. Since I had totally missed this on the way in, it was nice and fresh scenery for me rather than a boring in and out route. That's one advantage of being navigationally challenged :lol:

IMG_20200718_161425.jpg

I actually had a fair bit of trouble following the path and I'm not entirely certain I managed to follow the usual route. I ended up at a big stile over a deer fence which I crossed then realised it was leading me down into forestry beside Crianlarich. I headed back and ended up having to climb the deer fence lower down. The damn thing nearly collapsed and I did my best to fix it after I was over. Felt a bit daft when I got further down and I noticed that there was another stile. I ended up following two other guys who were just following the line of forestry down to the river. This bit was a bogfest and didn't really seem well used.

Once down, I saw the mystical bridge that I should have taken on the way up. Oops :shock:

IMG_20200718_171029.jpg

ardrain-tulaichean.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall Mor

55mins 2.9km 191m ascent

I was feeling pretty energetic after the munros and didn't really want to stop walking. It was still early so I had a think about what else was close by. After an expensive stop off at Tyndrum for some chips, I decided to head north for rannoch moor where there is a nice wee sub2000 called Meall Mor. Every time I drive past it, I always tell myself I really need to climb it, so today was the day. The walk starts from a handy layby opposite lochan nah-achlaise

IMG_20200718_183242.jpg

I have no idea if there is an actual path up here. I followed vague trails for a while which were probably just deer trails, but they didn't seem to be going up so I just thought feck it, time to go pathless and straight up again. Quite steep but not too bad and only takes half an hour.

The top has 3 cairns. This is a really cool memorial cairn in memory of a hillwalker.

IMG_20200718_190001.jpg

Rannoch Moors many lochs spread out below

IMG_20200718_190004.jpg

There was a rather nasty looking storm brewing right on top of the black mount hills. Not a day to be up the odhair :shock:

IMG_20200718_190008.jpg

IMG_20200718_190415.jpg

Decidedly cloudy on Beinn a Chreachan as well.

IMG_20200718_190426.jpg

A nice and quick wee hill with big views. Now when I drive past, I can say that I really need to reclimb that wee hill :)

nachalaise-sub.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Raynor
Wanderer

Munros:58   Corbetts:8
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland