walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Friday evening sunshine over Glen Feshie and the Cairngorms

Friday evening sunshine over Glen Feshie and the Cairngorms

Postby kirstyfc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 17/07/2020

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and my friend Jennifer’s schedules aligned for three free days together so it was time for our first camp of the year! I had just spent the past couple of days with family in Arran so it was going to be a treat of a week. I’ve only been wild camping a couple of times so wasn’t sure on where to go so just googled ‘best wild camping spots in Scotland’. Glen Affric was my first choice however I wasn’t tempted by the long Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan route. I then noticed Glen Feshie – a rewilding area which has in the past been taken over by deer. I’m reading a book at the moment called Wilding by Isabella Tree, which is about a rewilding project on a farm in East Sussex, so I was interested to go to a rewilding area. There was also a couple of Cairngorms Munros to choose from starting from this area, some with great descriptions so we were set!

The weather was set to be better on the Friday so we picked the best sounding Munro, Sgor Gaoith to do. Apparently it wasn’t going to take too long so we had a slow start, and didn’t arrive at the starting point until 3pm!! The weather was looking great on the road up and it didn’t stop when we got there, t shirt weather ahoy.

The route starts off through some amazing pinewoods. I’d been wanting to do a Munro with a lot of forest after reading Bill Bryson’s ‘Into the Woods’ about his time on the Appalachain Trail – not a book I personally recommend mainly because of the author’s attitude but it did make me want to hike in some woods! Because of this, and with the clear blue skies and sun beating down through the trees I felt as if I was somewhere in the US and not Scotland, it was bizarre.

IMG_20200717_153350.jpg

Once out of the woods it soon felt like familiar Scotland again with the rolling hills.

IMG_20200717_154315 (1).jpg

We stopped for a water break and the water was so clear:

IMG_20200717_160556.jpg

IMG_20200718_104426_426.jpg

So happy to be out

There was then a long traverse before hitting the open slopes that would take us higher. The path was really good here:

IMG_20200717_162408.jpg

The first spots of little baby trees I would become obsessed with over the weekend!

The proper climbing then started. I was struggling getting up this bit, I think it was because it was around 5pm at this point and my body wasn’t used to climbing at this time! And there’s always good days and bad days.

IMG_20200717_171534.jpg

Heading up, I always wonder who takes the time to make these little cairns

We reached the huge plateau and had to use a compass for the first time ever to take us ‘south east’. Off we went on a path heading up hill, but it didn’t seem to be leading anywhere and we looked behind us and saw the significant peak of Sgor Gaoith in the complete opposite direction. Oops.

IMG_20200717_175249.jpg

It was a bit windy and cold to try and figure out how we managed that and learn from our mistakes so we quickly pressed on the right direction, and the top didn’t seem too far at all. Keeping to the right, the crags soon began to come into view as well as Loch Einish and they were amazing. Lots and lots of pictures to be taken here!

IMG_20200717_182359.jpg

IMG-20200718-WA0048.jpg

IMG_20200717_181753.jpg

IMG_20200717_181403.jpg

A great summit, that doesn't take too much to get to.

We were aware there was an alternative route to get down but we were a bit concerned about getting back for finding a good camping spot so headed back the same way. This was fine as the views on the way down in the other direction are great, especially as the sun was beginning to come down giving it a totally different light.

IMG_20200717_185529.jpg

IMG_20200717_200516.jpg

Another reason I like retracing steps is noticing things you didn’t the first time, like the lovely bright heather:

IMG_20200717_200816.jpg

The light and surroundings were just getting better and better, such a treat to bring us towards the end of the walk:

IMG_20200717_203334.jpg

IMG_20200717_202154.jpg

IMG-20200718-WA0043.jpg

Jennifer really nailing it with this shot!

IMG_20200717_210639.jpg

Loved the sun coming down through the trees

I was then happy to be back in the woods again, and we planned to take the right hand on the fork near the start of the walk to find a camping spot then go and grab the stuff from the car. Unfortunately it was fern, fern and more fern. And trees. So absolutely nothing, giving a start reminder that green space doesn’t always mean a suitable place to pitch! So we headed back to the car and I had Feshiebridge a few miles away in mind from the way there.

We found the Frank Bruce sculpture trail and camped in the woods here, I recommend a visit to these ‘returning to nature’ tree sculptures!
IMG_20200718_100842.jpg

A great day in the sun, especially the variety between woods, plateau and crags!
kirstyfc
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Re: Friday evening sunshine over Glen Feshie and the Cairngo

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Looks great in this conditions, beautiful colours, feeling the freshness and joy from your photos :clap:
I did it in winter conditions with a lot of snow, but had a lucky clear day too :D Sgor Gaoith can't disappoint with the viewpoint ! Well done for another Munro :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby kirstyfc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:07 am

Ah cool would be great to see it in winter conditions too! Thank you :D
kirstyfc
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:22 pm

kirstyfc wrote:Ah cool would be great to see it in winter conditions too! Thank you :D

Here is my video how it looks, hope you will enjoy :wink: :D Keep walking :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Nice one kirsty, great pics :D
Sunset tripper

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland