walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

That river crossing

That river crossing

Postby Coop » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 21/07/2020

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 15.35 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Putting it off putting it off
And so the time had come.
For the river crossing!!!!! 1st time carrying 2 poles today
Up and down, up and down the river. Like a sewing machine. Found a wee island bit. Straight over to it then went for the rest and failed, slipped and up to my erse soaked. Current was strong today.
Made it in one piece apart from my shin hitting a boulder and a wee cut and big bruise.
Boots off , socks rung out, insoles rung out. Boots back on and off I went.
Good wee path up to the " bealach "
Hehe I meant boggy swamp up to it. Thought it would ease - nope, another wet section to come.
Views made up for it

This boot was on the far side- no sign of its owner
20200721_095909.jpg

20200721_120916.jpg
Nice view of Beinn Dhearg and Cona Meall

20200721_114252.jpg
And An Teallach

20200721_122650.jpg
Boots and socks came off again at the summit rung out and dried again. Was gonna put the spare socks on , but never.. maybe I should have tried to cross earlier with the boots off. Ifs buts maybes

Met a lad descending from the summit who'd cone up via Strath Vaitch, and another woman later on who'd also come iri that way - both said, "much longer, but no river to cross"
On the descent I headed for loch a' gharbrain - I wasn't going back over the raging river of no return again.

If its rained at all in the previous day or 2, and you're gonna go for Am Faochagach, go up to the loch a' gharbrain outlet. It's only ankle deep, a pebble bottom and no strong current/ raging torrent.
Or go via Strath Vaitch
Or go in the winter
Or pick another hill
On the plus side
Great views over the fannichs , Beinn Dearg group, An Teallach, Ben Wyvis.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland