walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deuchar Law from Kirkhouse (SUW)

Deuchar Law from Kirkhouse (SUW)

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Deuchar Law

Date walked: 21/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 468m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was down in Peebles for a couple of days and I was looking for a walk that, given my upcoming knee surgery, I felt I could manage and this, on the face of it, fitted the bill. I drove round to Kirkhouse and parked in a large car-park by the church and set off up the Southern Upland Way which was clearly waymarked. The ascent was nice and gentle on grassy tracks - the only issue being the number of dykes to be crossed on styles (not good for the knee) the the amount of sheep-shit (more than I could shake a walking pole at, that's for sure) The weather was fine - clear and breezy - and the views in all direction were great.
P1040489.JPG
Looking back down the SUW towards Innerleithen
P1040494.JPG
Deuchar Law from Blake Muir
So far, so good. I went over Blake Muir and down into the dip before pt 465, then ascending again to about 450m. I stopped to have a look at the terrain and the map. I must say that I didn't really fancy the look of a direct approach to the summit from here. Frankly, I didn't think my knee would take it so I carried on on the SUW to pt 476, thinking that I might find better ground along the forest edge fence and finally approach the summit from the south. This, though, did not turn out well as the terrain was very awkward - bog, deep heather, pot-holes and tussocks the size of beach-balls. Added to this a swarm of flies decided to descend upon me to try to get into my ears, nose, eyes and everywhere else. Most unpleasant. Eventually I reached the summit 'cairn' accompanied all the way by my swarm - so many were there that I couldn't even think about stopping for lunch or a break.
P1040495.JPG
On the summit looking over to Dun Rig
Rather than even attempt to go back by the same way, I decided to get back to the SUW by heading more or less due east from the summit, knowing that I would intersect the good track where I could start to relax and maybe take a break. I have to say, though, that this terrain was not much better and was decidedly unkind to my old knee which, by this time, was throbbing constantly. It was a relief to reach the SUW, rest a while and enjoy a snack before setting of back down to Kirkhouse and the mercifully short drive back to my hotel.
IMG_20200721_132509.jpg
Looking back down the SUW towards Innerleithen
Deuchar Law Pan.JPG
Deuchar Law Pan

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland