walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg from Glen Tilt - an old runner's tale!

Beinn Dearg from Glen Tilt - an old runner's tale!

Postby Nigel Hetherington » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg from near Blair Atholl

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl)

Date walked: 24/07/2020

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 29.5 km

Ascent: 990m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A beautiful July summer's morning to bag one of the more remote Munro's and keep my tally ticking along.
Though I actually claimed my first Munro over 30-years ago it's only in recent times that I decided to work slowly towards bagging all 282 summits.

So, I'll come clean, I am an over-60 runner, and have run many, many mountains, particularly in the Lake District, Wales and the Peak District over the years. The challenge I have recently set myself is to run all of the Munro's over the next 3-4 years, combining shorter classic walk routes, wherever possible, to make best use of my slightly faster traveling pace - I typically set myself the goal of achieving a given Walking Highland route in under half the guideline walking time! This does depend on terrain and weather and I'm not getting any younger!! I also don't rush along as I love to take in the solitude, the environment, take photographs and I am an avid nature lover so I'm always on the lookout for deer, hare, ptarmigan, eagle, colour changes with the seasons etc.

Make no mistake about it Beinn Dearg is a long haul from Glen Tilt car park - over 9-miles to the summit - mostly really good going underfoot though. I reached the summit in around 2hr 10min and, after a suitable elevenses stop and a few photos headed back down to complete the clockwise loop. A nice steady jog back to the car in just over 1hr 30min to complete a wonderfully tiring morning out!
Attachments
IMG_8317.jpeg
IMG_8319.jpeg
IMG_8321.jpeg
IMG_8323.jpeg
IMG_8327.jpeg
IMG_8330.jpeg
IMG_8334.jpeg
IMG_8342.jpeg
Nigel Hetherington

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:112
Wainwrights:97   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Dearg from Glen Tilt - an old runner's tale!

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 am

There's a real freedom in being able to run the hills - good luck with the objective.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland