walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rising damp

Rising damp

Postby akiggins » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 26/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I got kicked off Bhein Bhuidhe back in the day after a day of continuous rain and knee deep snow and innate fear of hypothermia. Knowing that I really didn't fancy the walk along the glen I decided to mountain bike up the hydro road as far as I could. I also had to be back in Glasgow by 2pm, so that was that.
Coming over the Rest and Be Thankful the drizzle left back in Glasgow looked like it might be clearing up. I was wrong. By the time I got to the carpack it was tipping it down. Heigh-ho.
I rode through the quarry and up the track to the end of the forest which was actually quite pleasant despite the rain pouring down my back.
IMG_20200726_082654.jpg

The road was pretty ridable although there were sections that my rudimentary mountain bike skills forced me to walk.
IMG_20200726_082700.jpg

Pedaled up and round the big pond and pushed the bike up the first really steep section. I balked at the second really really steep section, but should have pushed my bike up as there was still about a mile of flat to go after that. Even though there was no way I would have ridden back down that. I guess we'll never know.
PANO_20200726_111715.vr.jpg

The path up from the road was in full spate and I fully expected a salmon to fly past my ear at any point.
IMG_20200726_090441.jpg

Despite the boggy sections the thing I like about Bhein Bhuidhe is that when it goes up it goes up real fast. I was on the ridge and bombing along it in no time. In the, yes, you've guessed it, **** rain.
I didn't hang about on top as it was blowing a hoolie so back down I went.
Of course the further down I got the better the weather got.
IMG_20200726_103653.jpg

By the time I got back to my bike things we're looking much sunnier and I was very jealous of the people who were still on the way up.
IMG_20200726_113107.jpg

Given the weather and the time pressure it was a bit of a tick list rather than a nice day on the hill, but sometimes it do be like that.
akiggins
Stravaiging

Munros:147   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland