walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chasing Sunsets on Beinn Bhreac: Batteries Not Included

Chasing Sunsets on Beinn Bhreac: Batteries Not Included

Postby Raynor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 am

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 26/07/2020

Time taken: 2.41 hours

Distance: 6.01 km

Ascent: 604m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been planning a summit camp on this hill for a while after getting inspiration (aka stealing ideas) from a couple of reports on here. I figured I had a shot at getting a decent sunset tonight so I was looking for somewhere close to home with good views. This seemed a good opportunity to get the lay of the land before a camping trip while also enjoying the sunset.

On the drive up, all looked well. Sunny and mostly clear skies. As soon as I hit loch lomond, it all became a bit overcast.

After discovering the Inverbeg hotel carpark was not in fact the road up glen douglas, I eventually found my way along the right single track road. A bit of sharp braking was needed to avoid a lamb massacre and before long I was parked up in the signposted parking area.

Tullich Hill from the layby.
I did this hill in a clagfest ages ago and managed to wreck my knee on it. I also came down the wrong side of it and ended up near enough up to my waist in a swamp trying to get back around it. Definitely my most painful day on the hills to date. It all looked rather easy and benign today however.

IMG_0043.JPG

There was an ATV track most of the way up the hill. Unfortunately it was a real bogfest on the lower parts. The route initially follows the line of the trees.

IMG_20200726_200657.jpg

It wasn't long before I attracted the attention of the locals. Nice horns!

IMG_0044.JPG

As soon as I took that last photo, my camera battery died on me. Now that I only had my terrible phone camera, I knew for sure I would get a decent sunset :crazy:

The going was hard as it always is on these steep grassy hills. I thought about some grand theft auto but I suppose that's considered cheating....

IMG_0045.JPG

Looking further down Glen Douglas

IMG_0046.JPG

As it turns out, the sunset wasn't as good as I had hoped but still looked pretty cool behind the arrochar alps. As expected, the camera photos are a bit rubbish compared to what it actually looked like. I was convinced that I had taken about 20 absolute crackers. In reality, I got a couple of OK ones :lol:

It took about an hour to the summit trig. I was glad to see there were loads of places for a tent and even a sheltered shelf right behind the trig

IMG_20200726_211322.jpg

IMG_20200726_211310.jpg

IMG_20200726_212127.jpg

IMG_20200726_212207.jpg

The summit of this hill is actually quite interesting and rocky for what looks like just a grassy hill.

IMG_20200726_212248.jpg

Looking back up Loch Lomond

IMG_20200726_212300.jpg

There was a huge crack that went quite deep. I'm not sure how I will get on doing hills with proper exposed ridges, as I got vertigo peering down this one :lol:

IMG_20200726_211829.jpg

Ben Lomond directly across the loch.

IMG_20200726_213155.jpg

I sat around behind the trig for a while enjoying the views and had fun trying to pick out the crianlarich munros that I had done in recent weeks. Ben More and Stob Binean being the more obvious ones.

IMG_20200726_213252.jpg

As if a sunset wasn't good enough, I even came across a hardcore solitary tree to top it all off. Two of my favourite things to see on a hill :lol:

IMG_20200726_212428.jpg

As I sat around at the top, I realised I actually had all my camping gear in the car and was a bit annoyed that I hadn't just camped tonight, but since it is such a cool hill with amazing views, I will save the over nighter for a proper sunny day :)

bhreac-sunset.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Raynor
Wanderer

Munros:57   Corbetts:8
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland