walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Superb double Munro route from Loch Earn

Superb double Munro route from Loch Earn

Postby Hiking Kidd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:18 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 26/07/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed Ben Vorlich years ago with my dad in the snow one winter aged around 12... however we did not make the additional push to Stuc a'Chroin as I think one Munro was a great enough achievement for us both that day. I was delighted to have the opportunity to bag the 2 Munro's this time and absolutely loved the whole loop starting from beautiful Loch Earn. The initial ascent up from the loch was quite steep and relentless but the path is excellent and the views back down to the loch beautiful. Unfortunately it was pretty windy at the top of Ben Vorlich and cloud cover meant that our views were restricted from the peak a little and we didn't linger too long on the summit. Miraculously though as we descended the bealach towards Stuc a'Chroin the skies cleared and the panoramic views towards the north and west opened up in all their glory. The peak of Stuc a'Chroin is an impressive looking rugged and rocky outline which makes tackling it all the more challenging and inviting. We followed the path towards the steep rocky portion then traversed the grassy ridge above the boulder field and scrambled a little up to the top of the prow and on to the summit for more awesome views. A sheltered lunch spot looking back south over Ben Vorlich was perfect. The descent down the steepish scree path was quite tricky and a little boggy in places as we wandered around the side of Ben Vorlich to re-join the original path but very enjoyable. I would highly recommend this to all Munro baggers and would be keen to repeat the route myself sometime.
Attachments
QPBL3442.jpeg
Lunch from Stuc a'Chroin looking back to Ben Vorlich
IMG_0990.jpeg
Looking back down the path to Loch Earn
IMG_0985.jpeg
Clearing skies with some great views from the top of Stuc a'Chroin
IMG_0967.jpeg
Windy and some cloud cover on the summit of Ben Vorlich
Hiking Kidd
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland