walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wander up the crags

Wander up the crags

Postby martin1909 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Route description: Lundie Craigs circuit, Sidlaws

Date walked: 20/07/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The view from the top of the Lundie Crags gives some stunning views of Dundee, Fife and Strathmore. I had put off and put off this walk for years but as I can see it from my living room window I thought it was about time I headed up. The path starts at the car park at Tullybaccart farm and gently winds its way up to Ledcreif loch which serves the local fishermen as a great spot for a variety of trout species.

IMG_0713.JPG
Start of path from Tullybaccart car park

IMG_0726.JPG
Lundie Craggs from Ledcreif loch

After you reach Ledcreif loch, having taken in some quite remarkable views already on your walk up there, take the path/dirt road left, through the closed gate, through the woods.

IMG_0727.JPG
Path through woods after you take a left at the loch

This track winds its way through woodland up to the radio antenna at the top of Lundie Crags thus is in particularly good condition. From the path there are superb views of Strathmore and its towns of Cupar Angus and Blairgowrie.

IMG_0729.JPG
Following the road/path up to the radio station

When you eventually reach the top, on a clear day the views are stunning. Although I was graced with about 15 minutes of blistering sunshine there were frequent and very heavy cloudburst rolling across from the west so th e views were slightly impeded. There is a trig point at the top of the Crags and from here you can see all around. There were great views of Dundee, Fife, Strathmore and the Sidlaws.

IMG_0737.JPG
Looking over Dundee from the top

IMG_0739.JPG
Trig point at the top

IMG_0753.JPG
Ledcrief loch from the top

From the top, you can either retrace your path up or follow the path down the east side of the crags, through sheep fields, back to the opposite side of Ledcreif loch. The walk down is steeper than the walk up but by no means challenging...just watch out for sheep dung. The views of Long Loch on the way down were stunning.

IMG_0754.JPG
Long Loch on the way down

IMG_0756.JPG
Fishing for dinner

As you continue down, the land flattens out and you pass over a gate which takes you another field closer to Ledcreif Loch. From this position the crags are very imposing and dominate the landscape. There is also a plethora of wildlife to be seen here. Deer, Fowl, Buzzards, Frogs to name a few can all be seen in this secluded little spot.

IMG_0778.JPG
Looking up at the craggs from the bottom

IMG_0771.JPG
Sheeps wool on branches...is it Halloween?

Once you reach the fishing loch it’s a simple retrace of your footsteps that led you up from the car park back down.

Not a long or challenging walk by any means and well worth a few hours of your time if your passing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland