walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Bog Monster vs The Cairnwell Three

The Bog Monster vs The Cairnwell Three

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 13/07/2020

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Zena is playing catch-up on her Munro's and with the weather okay but not great I decided to head for everyone's favourite trio (sarcasm) - the Cairnwell Munro's. It's my 4th time doing these three, along with Mount Keen the ones I've done most. Not sure what bad thing I've done in a past life to deserve that but the good thing about walking with dogs is every time is an adventure and this time was no different! These were going to be Zena's 8th, 9th and 10th Munro's and I didn't want the monstrosity that is The Cairnwell to be Zena's 10th so we did Cairn Aosda and The Cairnwell first before heading along to the bit quieter Carn a'Gheoidh. It was busy, but the car parking is huge the parking area itself was far from full so no worries about parking here! The clear tracks headed up to the first target, Carn Aosda with dark clouds providing a moody backdrop to what has to be the quickest Munro to reach.

1.JPG
Moss on Carn Aosda

3.JPG
Zena's 8th Munro.

Then it was on to The Cairnwell. Easy walking on a wide track all the way to the summit and that was the first two Munro's done in less than an hour and a half! There was a lot of people hanging around the summit including a few families which was nice to see.

15.JPG
The Cairnwell summit

From there it was on to more pleasant walking away from the crowds on the paths towards the third target of the day - Carn a'Gheoidh. Rain clouds were sweeping towards us so we didn't hang around too long, but it was the return where the most fun was had!

29.JPG
Striking a pose on Carn a'Gheoidh

36.JPG
Selfie!

41.JPG
Getting a bit rainy but it mostly avoided us

The dogs will go to pools of water, makes going down steeper bits handy as they can be sent ahead and they will wait in or beside the water and there was what looked like a nice pool on one such descent...oops!

44.JPG
Oh dear...

49.JPG
There's no shaking that off...

51.JPG
Pleased with yourself Zena?

Well it was certainly fun having that bog monster on the end of the lead her tail slapping against my leg as we headed back down! I did send her down to the burn in the hopes to wash some of the worst of it off before getting into the car, but I don't think it made much of a difference. Oh well, she was please with herself anyway :lol:

55.JPG
Yeah, that's not doing much!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland