walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windlestraw Law trade route

Windlestraw Law trade route

Postby thepigguy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Donalds included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Date walked: 08/03/2020

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 10.96 km

Ascent: 478m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I didn't have a lot of time to spare while on a visit to Edinburgh to see my son and daughter, but I thought a Sunday afternoon following the SMC route around Windlestraw Law, Bareback Knowe and Whitehope Law would be about right.

I won't go into huge detail - the route is very simple, I parked just south of Blackhopebyre, walked north along the road and then turned east and took the track up the hillside.

20200308_104527.jpg
Looking towards Blackhopebyre from the parking spot

1000473.jpg
Easy going on the track at first

1000478.jpg
For about a mile the going is very pleasant - who doesn't like a grassy track?

It was nice, quick ascent up Glentress Rig, but snowmelt and the tracks of a massive all-terrain vehicle I'd seen parked at the farm made the going increasingly difficult as I made my way up Wallet Knowe and by the time I was level with the grouse butts the track itself was impassable.

20200308_112842.jpg
It's getting tricky

20200308_135136.jpg
Mud-fest

Still, it was straightforward making my way up by the grouse butts, then following the fence up towards the summit of Windlestraw Law, cutting across to the trig point which may or may not be the highest point (the other contender being about 20m along the fence).

20200308_120250.jpg
Following the fence up Windlestraw Law

1000496.jpg
Trig at/near the top of Windlestraw Law - classic Moorfoots

Next bit was to nip over to Bareback Knowe - my first Donald Top. This was the best part of the walk and all too short. Tracks and paths eased the way, although I decided to skirt round a large patch of snow just below the top. The cairn on Bareback Knowe is large, reasonably dry and gives much better views than the top of Windlestraw Law so, despite the chilly wind, I hung around for a while, drinking tea, wandering around and generally wishing I'd followed the Walkhighlands route from Innerleithen.

1000499.jpg
Bareback Knowe cairn

1000495 (1).jpg
Zoomed to the Eildons

20200308_125109.jpg
Does anyone take selfies on a Donald Top? They do now.

I spent about ten minutes wondering whether to stick to the SMC route and head down Bareback Knowe, but it looked tussocky with large snowy patches of unpredictable depth much of the way down so I decided to double back, visiting the solar weather/wind/whatever thingy on the way.

20200308_131929.jpg
Normally I'd expect plans for a new wind farm, but this has been here a long while

As I battled through the bogs again, the sun came out, but the clock was ticking and even a quick up and down of Whitehope Law felt a bit much - that's a quickie for another day.

1000483 (1).jpg
Whitehope Law from Wallet Knowe

20200308_143339.jpg
Glentress Water on the way back to the car
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Grahams:4   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:2
Islands:18

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland