walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tarland TUmps and pole recovery from Johnston

Tarland TUmps and pole recovery from Johnston

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am

Date walked: 31/07/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 538m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nae Harvey today, who was holidaying at Grannies Hieland Hame - Embo.
We convoyed off to Tarland and warmed up on the first tiddler just outside Tarland.

GALLOWS HILL

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Strolled up the drive for Melgum Lodge. Saw a cairn off to the W, so investigated.
Memoriam to JC Tattersal . 1971 -2013. We passed a house later by the road below with the same name, so assumed it was someone from there.

JCTs cairn on Gallows.jpg
JCT's cairn on the way up Gallows Hill

Cut up to the higher ground to the sound of gobbling turkeys coming from the middle of some rhododendrons.
Wandered around to establish the highest point in the trees and grass then headed down by a more direct route getting back to the drive by a container.

GordonC at the top of Gallows Hill.jpg
GordonC at the top of Gallows through the trees

BROOM and BADERONOCH HILLS

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Drove up to the corner then along the track to the wood and the start of a signposted route.
There were sheep in the field.so we elected to take the other track further W.
Passed through a couple of unlocked gates and struck up alongside the forestry fence. Turns out that if we'd continued through another gate and along a bit, we would've picked up a grassy ATV track. However, it wasn't too bad through the grass, albeit a bit deep. Eventually we met the ATV track and followed it to the crest of the ridge.

The track up Broom.JPG
GordonB toiling up the track to the ridge of Broom Hill

Another H stane on Broom Hill.JPG
The "H" stane on the way up Broom Hill

An easy walk up the track to the top of Broom. The breeze, thankfully, kept us coolish.
A good view across to Pressendye and in the other direction to Morven.

Pressendye from Broom Hill.jpg
Pressendye from Broom Hill

Returned back down the track to the pond at Lazy Well and its wee summer house huttie. Stopped for our piece in the Lazy Well Summer house.

The track down to Lazy Well.JPG
GB on the track down to Lazy Well

The LW Huttie.JPG
The Lazy Well "summer House"

The summer house at Lazy Well.jpg
Inside the summer house at Lazy Well

A couple passed us while we were in the huttie, heading up Broom. As we were leaving the huttie, another couple arrived from the north. We went up Baderonoch directly alongside the fence, which was easy going. On the way we passed a lamb which looked like it was sleeping. Wondered why it didn't get up and run away as we aproached - seems it was dead which was a decent explanation. ( it was stiff, anyway )
At the top, we had to cross the sheep fence to the trig and a fine conical cairn. Just as we arrived at the trig, the couple we had met down at Lazy Well appeared up the other parallel track on the other side of the fence. We had a chat and they were somewhat bemused by our explanation of Marilyns, HUmps & TUmps, which they'd nener heard of ! They graciously took out fotie by the conical cairn. Had to disinfect it on recovery with my wipes.

We meet again.jpg
We meet again - at the top of Baderonoch

Morven behind the twa billies.JPG
Morven behind the" twa billies" on Baderonoch

We pointed out the southern range of Carn Mon Earn, Kerloch, Clachnaben, Mt Battock, Peter Hill and Mt Keen, which were just begining to haze over. Lochnagar was visible too.Great viewpoint.
GordonC descended by the couple's route while I recrossed the fence to pick up my bag & remaining walking pole.
Back at Lazy well, a couple of brightly coloured cyclist were having a break on the steps of the huttie. Seems to be a popular route !
Took the track along the tops of the forestry, back to the cars.
On the way back into Tarland, we spotted this field of apparently sown wild flowers. Bonny !

A Field o Wild flooers.jpg
A field o bonny wild flooers near Tarland

HILL of JOHNSTON

We drove up through Strathdon to Rhynie and across to Clatt on a mission to recover my valuable 20Groat walking pole.
Walked up Johnston by my previous route to the top, with no sign of the errant pole. I inspected the gate that I'd traversed last week (twice), with no sign of the pole. Just as I was about to climb back over the gate, my foot touched something in the flattened long grass. Yep, it was my pole - well hidden in the grass. Startled the kye below with my screech of joy !
Strode off the hill with a swagger at the recovery of my lost fortune ! ( it was only 3 weeks old when I lost it ).

Yeh - recovery complete - job done.JPG
Twa sticks - ya beauty ! - successful recovery mission .

Sang all the way home in spite of being nearly totalled by a black Jag ignoring my indication to continue round the Blackburn roundabout. Obviously keen to get home for his tea......

A great day in sunshine with a cooling breeze to keep the sweat levels down, and a bonus retrieval mission.

Thanks Gordon, for helping in the recovery mission. However you got an extra TUmp in !
Attachments
GordonC at the top of Gallows Hill.jpg
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland