walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gael Charn and A’Mharconaich

Gael Charn and A’Mharconaich

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 25/07/2020

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

318CCC87-C68B-4287-AC28-16FE54A523CF.jpeg
A’Mharconaich summit with Skye
I had attempted Gael Charn last year but was forced to turn back in a whiteout as I was fearing for my dogs safety.
This time the weather was a lot more pleasant. No skiers practicing avalanche drills beyond the railway line!
Parked up off the A9 and immediately I opened the door the van was swamped with midgies.
Quickly got my gear together and headed off. A pleasant walk in with nice views back over Drumochter.
Didn’t take long to reach the plateau and then a short stroll to the summit.
F6B957DF-E6D9-45E9-8068-2E3D47276126.jpeg
Gael Charn summit selfie

Headed off straight away for A’Mharconaich following the compass as the weather was beginning to turn. Picked up a path once the worst of the stones were cleared and followed it round to the second munro.
318CCC87-C68B-4287-AC28-16FE54A523CF.jpeg
A’Mharconaich summit with Skye

Lovely walk back down from this one. The valley had opened up and it was a great day enjoying the solitude with my four legged companion. She managed to eat most of my food and I think she enjoyed her morning jaunt too.
Attachments
145D26BA-CB6C-47FF-85CA-1C8D89F9036F.jpeg
Stunning rainbow on the way back pouring with rain but bright sunshine
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland