walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An un-Munro like Munro

An un-Munro like Munro

Postby Bmg99 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 01/08/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 824m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd originally planned a walk near Bridge of Orchy, but looking at the weather forecast the prospect of a cloud free summit was slim, so we decided to head further East.

The choice of where to go was mainly determined by what maps I had on my bookshelf. Having previously done the hills on the Western side of Drumochter I had a map that covered these hills, so Carn na Cairn and A' Bhuidheadnach Bheag is was.

We parked up in lay-by 87 at the back of 10am and caught a break in the traffic to cross the A9.

The track up the hill really is an ugly scar on the landscape.

Looking West to Geal Charm and the great dome of Sgairneach Mhor, the hills are equally scarred by tracks. Fortunately, if you lift your gaze a little the view is "rescued" by the magnificence of Ban Alder and the hills on the far side of Loch Ericht. There were even still some snow patches visible.

The track was a lot steeper than we anticipated. One of the problems of being able to Zoom in on a map on your computer is that it stretches out the contour lines and distorts your sense of the gradient. We reached the plateau after about an hour of wlking and headed north toward Carn na Cairn. We headed for the sport height of 914m before turning toward the actual summit. There are some large areas of big, but these are easily avoided. When we reached the summit one of the guys commented that this was the most un-Munro like Munro he'd ever been up. I mean, how many Munro summits have sheep on them?

Image (Heading to the spot height)

Image (At the summit of Carn na Cairn with the sheep in the back-ground).

After a brief stop for some tea / coffee we headed off again. To get back to the track we followed closer to the old fence line.

At A' Bhuidheanach someone has made a large arrow out of stones to point to the path. Without this it would be easy to miss this junction.

After crossing the burn at the bottom of the drop the trig point of A' Bhuidheanach Bheag comes quite quickly.

There is not much / any shelter at either summit, so on a windy day neither is a good place for lunch. However, the weather was good, despite the menacing black clouds over Ben Alder, so we enjoyed a spot of lunch at the top before heading back down the track.

There is not much to say about the decent apart from it is amazing how far the sound of a motor bike on the A9 travels. On the way down rows of shooting hides were visible. We'd not noticed these on the way up, but seeing them on the way down reminded us that while the hills seems wild they are a managed environment.
Last edited by Bmg99 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Re: An un-Munro like Munro

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:46 pm

Nice report.

I am thinking of doing these hills and noticed the WH route is 19km. Can l ask, how did you manage to chop 7km off the route, is there a short-cut you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Bmg99 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 pm

ScotFinn65 - Thanks for the comment. We chopped 7km off the route by me getting miles and Km mixed up. It was a 12 mile walk, so 19km :D
I'll change the report to reflect this.
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Bmg99 wrote:ScotFinn65 - Thanks for the comment. We chopped 7km off the route by me getting miles and Km mixed up. It was a 12 mile walk, so 19km :D
I'll change the report to reflect this.

Thanks for answering. I was hoping you could have saved me 7km :D but l guess l got to march it out. :roll:

Thanks again for the walk report, nice to read
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland