walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Driesh...the third attempt & dinner with a view

Driesh...the third attempt & dinner with a view

Postby martin1909 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh

Date walked: 31/07/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 743m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Twice before I had tried to summit Driesh and twice before was I unsuccessful. IN January, my girlfriend and I made it up Mayar but the wind and ground ice was proving to difficult for her, in February I made a solo attempt but the Kilbo Path was a sheet of ice and I didn't fancy my chances. Fast forward to July, its 23 degrees so ice shouldnt be a problem this time.

I arrived at the Glen Doll car park to utter madness. Cars everywhere and space at an absolute premium. I was able to find a space, just. I got ready and headed up the mountain. I decided I'd give the Scorrie path a try today owing to my lack of luck in previous attempts up the Kilbo Path.

IMG_0920.JPG
Scorrie Path

IMG_0921.JPG
The glen from the scorrie path

IMG_0926.JPG
Car park madness

Shortly after starting up the Scorrie Path I was beginning to have my doubts as the path was becoming more and more indistinguishable from the surroundings. I decided not to continue up this "path" and head across the rough terrain towards the Kilbo Path. I eventually joined the Kilbo Path, already knackered from my near vertical ascent up what I thought was the Scorrie Path. Nonetheless, I was on the Kilbo Path, so I charged onward.

There was a thin layer of cloud in the sky, the sun however was beating through it strongly and I could begin to feel myself burn and see my arms go red. Thank god I remembered the sun cream or it could have gotten bad :lol:

IMG_0931.JPG
Heading up the Kilbo Path

The heat was draining and it was a long slow slog up the Kilbo Path but I eventually made it up the Kilbo Path and began my ascent up to Driesh. There was a slight haze in the distance creating a stunning effect as I looked over the hills in the distance.

IMG_0935.JPG
Looking west from the top of the Kilbo Path

From the top of thew Kilbo Path the summit of Driesh isn't to far at all. A short half hour walk is all it takes to reach the trig point.

IMG_0939.JPG
Approaching Driesh summit

IMG_0945.JPG
The top

Having reached the top I decided to have dinner. In the future I fancy bagging some Munro whilst camping overnight. The White Mounth circuit is one which I hope to bag pretty soon. With this in mind I thought I would try one of these wayfarer boil in the bag meals. Not to sure what to expect I lit the stove and put it on. Five minutes later I had a piping hot spaghetti and meatballs meal which...for a boil in the bag meal was not bad at all.

IMG_0948.JPG
Dinner is on

IMG_1119.JPG
Dinner with a view

IMG_0944.JPG
Mt Keen from the top of Driesh

After dinner, I made my way back down the way I came up.

Thank god it was third time lucky because if I needed to make a fourth attempt at this Munro I'd be somewhat peeved off :lol:

A cracking walk in a beautiful part of Scotland, I'll miss coming up this way as now they are bagged who knows when I'll be back up Glen Doll

On a final note...does anyone who has walked up the Kilbo path know what this small box is attached to a tree near the wooded fence you walk through at the top end of the forest? I've always wondered.

IMG_1123.JPG
What is this box?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Re: Driesh...the third attempt & dinner with a view

Postby Jim777 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Possibly an outdoor people counter !!!
Jim777
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland