walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A cracking traverse of Beinn Alligin

A cracking traverse of Beinn Alligin

Postby 15pearsonT » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 24/07/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1132m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Alligin. The least complex of the trio of Torridonian sandstone mountains which rise above Glen Torridon like "prehistoric monsters"(Storer)- a scenic gem to behold in your lifetime. As we drove towards Torridon from Shieldaig, the views astonished me like none other; little did I know that these views were only our starter- we were yet to find the main course of views to consume.

I was tired. After clambering up Maol Chean Dearg the previous day from Coulags in mist across the numerous boulder fields, the ascent of Beinn Alligin was one for tired legs, but the enthusiasm was still there. So we set off from the usual car park at about 10.30 with high optimism, as the cloud from on top of Sgurr Mor and Tom Na Gruagaich started to clear up- we were in for perfect weather to traverse the Horns of Alligin. As it was my first ever scramble, I felt slightly nervous as to what it would be like- after reading the many books and material I could find on it, I felt bewildered as to what the experience would hold for me. Would it be exposed? Would be it airy? But never mind this I thought, lets just get on with it!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back towards Loch Torridon
A mini waterfall on the Abhainn Coire Mhic Nobuil
Sgurr Mor in cloud
Liathach in cloud

The steepness of the first climb up towards the Horns was great as I would not like to be going down that slope after doing the whole traverse, when I was even more tired. After a quick flapjack, i was reenergised to tackle the Horns.

Ready to take the horns!
Sgurr Dubh and Loch a Bhealaich
Back towards the second horn
On the summit of Sgurr Mor- First Munro of the Day
Back towards the Horns of Alligin and Beinn Dearg behind

It took 3 hrs 45 mins to get from the car park to Sgurr Mor but sure were the views worth the effort.For me the Horns of Alligin were a lot easier than I expected. But beware, this does not mean that you will not find them hard and that you should not take care and concentrate on them .

The Outer Hebrides
Skye, Raasay and Rona
Gairloch
We then carried on towards Eag Dhiubh which plunges 550 m into the corrie below(Imagine climbing up that!)

After 45 minutes we got to Tom Na Gruagaich and started heading down, still with the beautiful views over Skye and Liathach.
The summit of Tom Na Gruagaich- second munro of the day
After a long and tiring day we got back to the car park after 7 hours of walking across the finest mountain I had ever walked.
15pearsonT
Walker

Munros:18   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:30   Islands:1
Walk wish-list

Re: A cracking traverse of Beinn Alligin

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 pm

I thought: surely there weren't 2 days with this superb weather ??!!??

Then it clocked when I saw the last pic: it was the same walk as the long-haired fellah reported on.... :roll: :D

It's hard to beat days like this. On such occasions I often think of Joe Simpson's words in "Touching the Void": "This is what we live for...."
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: A cracking traverse of Beinn Alligin

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Nice one - that was a great day out. Liathach next year?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland