walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Macdui horseshoe

Macdui horseshoe

Postby thand » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 31/07/2020

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1606m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather looking good, set off from Turra at 6:30 and made it to a very full Linn of Dee car park about 8:30. John arrived soon after to get what seemed to be the last space. After a bit of faffing getting ready we were off on the bikes to Derry Lodge.

It was warm on the path out of the wind and we passed quite a few people walking in. The views of the mountains we were targeting were great to get the excitement up (first Munros since November).

Took about 25 minutes at a leisurely pace to get to Derry Lodge on the bikes, where we locked them up.
c3875f48-0423-4c3d-8b58-2ac587fb8a9d.JPG

Crossed the boggy bit and soon caught the path to the Lui crossing. It was getting quite warm and I did nearly take us up to the Lui bridge before realising we shouldn't have turned off. Flies were rife in the copse before the crossing but we were soon at it.
IMG_5110.JPG

The crossing itself wasn't too bad and while refreshing for the feet was only up to mid shin.
IMG_5108.JPG

As we were getting our feet dry and boots back on we watched a dad ferry his young family's gear across. Hope they gave him hero status.

From here the climb to Carn a'Mhaim started. It was only about 600m up to the summit and with a good path it didn't feel too steep.
IMG_5114.JPG

The summit was busier than I have seen for a long time, but plenty of families which is great to see and lots of views towards Macdui and the munros of the Braeriach traverse.
IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

After enjoying the sun and some food we set off down the shoulder towards Macdui. Its really fine to have some kind of a ridge even if not too tight, but all too soon we were at the bottom of the Macdui ascent.
IMG_5135.JPG

From here the path disappeared into a boulder field which slowed us down but meant the climb never got too hard and after a while we soon made it up onto Macdui. The summit was packed with lots of people which gave me mixed emotions and a group of lads who were obviously thrilled to have climbed (good one) spent the next 15 minutes inserting f*$% into every sentence (not good) which was a shame with the kids and older people around.
IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

We headed off into the more remoter part of the mountain on the way to Derry Cairngorm. This was a good path and a short ascent to reach the rocky summit.
IMG_5148.JPG

We spent time soaking in the last summit before heading off back toward Derry Lodge and then onto Linn of Dee.
IMG_5153.JPG

Great to see John and get back in the hills.
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Macdui horseshoe

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:23 pm

I was admiring some of your route from a small hill to the south the same day. A bit on the warm side for me.but I can see how it would make for a great walk, especially with waiting since November to be on bigger hills.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland