walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A trio of TUmps in Strathdon - Culquoich

A trio of TUmps in Strathdon - Culquoich

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am

Date walked: 06/08/2020

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 364m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short but lovely walk around the TUmps on the Culquoich estate - once a deer farm, but now rebranded as the Strathdon Ranch.
The road to where we intended parking was barrier'd off, so we pulled into the field beside all the families out for a Ranch adventure walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

CLACHCURR, CAIRNBEG and TOM BEITH

Still being a deer farm, there are deer fences everywhere with locked gates.

Nether Cuquoich from the track.JPG
Looking down to Nether Culquoich from the track to the bealach

Walked up the track to a deer fence gate which thankfully, Harvey could squeeze under. We climbed over the "ladder" fence at the sides and on to a path up Clachcurr. There was an open gate halfway up which allowed us to change sides of the deer fence easily and on up to the top. The tracks had been recently mown to make it easy walking. Nice views from the top of Clachcurr on a sunny day with a light breeze to keep the temperature down.

Another deerfence gate.JPG
Gate in the first deer fence

The grass track up Clachcurr 2.jpg
The grass track up Clachcurr

The crossover gat on Clachcurr.JPG
The crossover gate on Clachcurr

The top of Clachcurr.JPG
The top of Clachcurr

We delved down the S side of Clachcurr, weaving a path through the heather and (mostly) broom to the track at the bealach.

Down through the heather to Cairnbeg.JPG
Down through the heather and broom to Cairnbeg

We were confronted by a new deer fence barring our way up Cairn Beg - ostensibly to keep deer out of future forestry planting, according to a notice on the fence.

Combined E fence and deer fence at Cairnbeg.JPG
Combined E-fence and deer fence below Cairnbeg

Went through a gate in a standard fence, which gave me an electric fright before I noticed the insulated wire along the top of the fence. The farmer who tied the gate up must've been a fisherman in a previous life as it took me a good while to undo all the knots in the tow securing the gate ( in addition to the functioning draw-bolt). We wandered along the fence to find a gate, but the fencers were economical and there were none. We returned to the electric fence and adopted a strategy of sequential ascents of Cairn Beg, taking it in turns to stay with Harvey at the bealach. This was probaby a better strategy, as there was a flock of sheep on the top of Cairnbeg that scattered when I appeared. GordonC warned me of another E-Fence on the way up, so I armed myself with my poly seat mat which insulated my nether regions from the fully charge system that had startled GordonC.
( I wondered why his hair was standing on end when he returned ! )

Insulation for the E fence on Cairnbeg.jpg
Insulation for the E-fence on the way up Cairnbeg

Clachcurr from top of Cairnbeg.jpg
Looking back up Clachcurr from the top of Cairnbeg

Once re-assemble back a Harvey, we headed off along the mown grass track towards Tom Beith.
The track was festooned by lots of these wee black butterflies ( about 2-3cm across the wings ) with orange patches on their wings. Tried to take a pic of one of them, but every time I stopped to sneak up on one that had alighted on the track, H came charging back to me to sus out the POI. Eventually I got a snap, but nae verra good een.

Butterfly on the grass track to Tom Beith.jpg
The black & orange butterfly on the way to Tom Beith

At a patch of pines, we disturbed a buzzard, which flew off screeching.
At the far end of the wood was another deer fence gate that H couldn't squeeze under, so we had to hoist him over the "ladder" side-panels. Michty, he's heavy now ! ( I'll need to hit the gym if there's more of this ! ) GC & I followd H over the fence and up the grassy track towards Tom Beith. Soon we passed through a big patch of clover which had a wonderful aroma. On the way, we passed through copses of Scots Pine forming a delightful arch and a bit of shade from the sun.
There were ancient bushes of juniper between the trees adding to the scent being wafted around by the breeze. Quite intoxicating.

Ling, Juniper and Larch on Tom Beith.jpg
Ling, Juniper and Larch on the way up Tom Beith

Scots pine guard of honour on Tom Beith.jpg
The Scots pine guard of honour on Tom Beith track

We passed through another standard gate with deer "extensions" which H was able to squeeze through easily. The path disappeared into a patch of gorse but continued up to the top and a grassy top shielded by a line of Scotch pine. A triplet of Eagles/buzzards swooped away from us into the glen beyond. As we watched them fade into the distance we decided they were buzzards as we'd seen one already.

Tree screen on Tom Beith.jpg
Scots pine tree screen at the top of Tom Beith

Idyllic top of Tom Beith.jpg
The idyllic top of Tom Beith

We lounged in the sunshine on a knoll of grass,moss and blaeberries for a while, discussing whether the hill in the distance wi tors on top was Beinn Avon. Eventually we decided it was.
Had to tear ourselves away from this idillic situation and once GordonC had checked I hadn't left my walking pole behind, we headed down, thoroughly enchanted by the ling in full bloom and the mix of lush grass and juniper.
How lucky we are to have this fantastic country virtually on our doorstep !

Flooers and nettles by the track.jpg
Flooers and nettles on the way back down t' car
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland