walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lead mine walk in very wet conditions

Lead mine walk in very wet conditions

Postby Dander and explore » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Route description: Strontian Lead Mines via Ariundle Oakwoods

Date walked: 04/08/2020

Time taken: 2.6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started our walk from the Ariundle car park. It was an extremely wet and rainy day with waterproof clothes required throughout. The display board near the start of the path has information for the Ariundle Oak trail, which has a distance of about 5.5km and forms part of the walk to the lead mines.

We followed the walking path straight up from the car park to the lead mines. We opted to do the lower variation across the river on the return. And we opted against the second variation due to the extremely heavy rain.

The path starts of very gentle. Great for a nice walk in. The burns were all very swollen by the continuous rainfall. Higher up one of the burns, usually likely a small trickle, flowed across the path. It was about ankle deep in places, with good waterproof boots we kept our toes dry though.

The bridge higher up doesn't look any better now than a few years ago. It had water running half way across it before it fell down between the slats. We braved it one at a time and while it creaked, it was fine. Nearly there once you are across!
Next we faced cows, who were blocking the path. As we looked at each other, contemplating how to get around them, the cows clearly took pitty on us and walked up the hill into the grass.
The path turned into a stream at this point and we saw many frogs.
Finally we reached the mine's spoil heaps. We had a little explore before heading back down the main path. The cows had disappeared and the bridge of doom held.
We opted for the variation along the oak trail down to the river. This was very swollen and the path on the far side was quite soggy in places. However, it was also beautiful.

Overall a great short-ish walk. It was very enjoyable despite the rain.
Attachments
IMG_20200804_135254703.jpg
View down to the river.
Dander and explore
Walker

Munros:15   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Re: Lead mine walk in very wet conditions

Postby thedonalds » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 pm

Update information: The lower bridge over the Strontian River is closed for safety reasons, seems to be some sort of structural issue, so the return walk down the east side of the river is not possible at present. Otherwise its still all as written above, even the dodgy old bridge up by the lead mine is still hanging on......
Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 13.18.33.png
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland