walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District Loweswater: Burnbank, Blake and Gavel Fells

Lake District Loweswater: Burnbank, Blake and Gavel Fells

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blake Fell, Burnbank Fell, Gavel Fell

Date walked: 29/07/2020

Time taken: 3

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ascended from Waterend, Loweswater.

From Burnbank Fell to Blake Fell, and on to Gavel Fell, returning the same way provided a pleasant, straight forward, late afternoon's stroll across fells very reminiscent of parts of the Southern Uplands in good weather. However, had I had more time, I think that a descent via Loweswater, although longer would have made for a much better day out.

Web 2020.07.29 IMG_9862 Blake Fell.jpg
Summit shelter, Blake Fell

Forestry workings had closed the main path down with no prior indication or alternatives provided. In the event, with work finished for the day, and no other paths, other than re-climbing Burnbank to get to the path taken in the ascent, I made my way through the workings, (very carefully!) followed by another solitary walker faced with the same situation.

11 kms/6.72 miles, 600m /1,957', 2 hours 59 mins
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:13
Grahams:10   Donalds:16
Hewitts:239
Wainwrights:204   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland