walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine from Linn of Dee

Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine from Linn of Dee

Postby kleighton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Sgor an Lochain Uaine

Date walked: 14/07/2020

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been planning this walk for a long summer's day. I had intended to climb these 2 and Devil's Point last summer but ran out of time and energy so only completed Devil's Point last July. Then lockdown happened. Finally the 5 mile limit was removed and I was able to venture back to the hills after months of pavement pounding. Heaven!
13 km trek in from Linn of Dee to Corrour Bothy, easy walking on well made paths and tracks. A steep path up Coire Odhar to the bealach at the top of the waterfall below Devil's Point. Reindeer were galloping about across the slopes in the far west. I continued left along an intermittent path to the west of the rocky edge which led to the summit of Stob Coire An T-saighdeir at 1213m then down to a bealach at 1160 and up the steep bouldery cone to Cairn Toul summit. There is a southern cairn but I headed for the true summit which has a windshelter cairn. Magnificent views of the cairngorms with Ben MacDui and Carn a'Mhaim to the east, Devil's Point, Monadh Mhor and Beinn Bhrotain to the south/ south west, Braeriach to the north and Angel's Peak tantalisingly close to the west.
I headed down a path to the west which led more easily to the bealach and up to Angel's Peak summit where i stopped for a late lunch. Truly fantastic, on top of the world.
I returned back to Linn of Dee, firstly traversing the western slopes of Cairn Toul summit and back to the 1213 summit, downwards pst Corrour Bothy , Lairig Ghru and onwards to Derry lodge then Linn of Dee. A long day but well worth every minute.
Attachments
20200714_124006.jpg
Cairn Toul south cairn from true summit
20200714_133828.jpg
Braeriach from Sgor An Lachain Uiane
20200714_133832.jpg
Cairn Toul from Angel's Peak
20200714_124009.jpg
Cairn Toul summit
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:181   Corbetts:21
Grahams:20   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:24   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland