walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnien and Ben More from Inverlochlarig

Stob Binnien and Ben More from Inverlochlarig

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 08/08/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got to Inverlochlarig car park just before 2pm. Slightly less busy than the other week so could get changed and ready to go. I had to remove a large stone in the wall where the stile is to allow my dog to get through. Replaced it carefully and took off up the flank of Stob Coire an Lochan. A decent enough path to follow and you hit another fence line further up. Again it has a stile which is awkward for those of us with dogs. Had to manoeuvre slightly left so I was on more even ground as it’s very steep here. This enabled me to lift her over the post and wire fence. Not long after the fence the grounds levels out a bit and you see the target ahead.
447F11CB-5A3B-4414-A96F-754E25D74CD5.jpeg
Hot dog on Stob Coire an Lochan
The small cairn of Stob Coire An Lochan is soon reached and the views open up.
1DCC507F-411A-4C34-A9C9-715DB45F2F5F.jpeg
86DD8B32-1323-4EC3-8392-779280BC4B1F.jpeg
Views opening up
You can see up to the ridge all the way to the summit of Stob Binnien. Really hot day and wasn’t pressing too hard as I didn’t want Skye to overheat. Reached the summit in good time
99060004-B871-41E0-AF49-6CF60FDC19B6.jpeg
Stob Binnien summit
though and took a short break before losing some 300m to the beleach between Stob Binnien and Ben More. A rocky march up to the summit which was swarming with midgies. I had done Ben More previously from the Farm side. It was good to see the alternative.
CFF9B31E-E6B7-44D4-BAEA-B905FC4C7C6C.jpeg
Ben More summit
I didn’t fancy the reascent of Stob Binnien so skirted around its flank
C290EEC9-987B-4266-9347-34520BC31FE8.jpeg
Route back
dropping eventually to Inverlochlarig Glen and eventually picking up the track which follows the Inverlochlarig burn all the way back to where I started. Took 6 hours. Lesson learned for the day was to take a lot more water on days like that.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland