walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Oh deer, it's another heathery mess

Oh deer, it's another heathery mess

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Càrn a'Bhodaich

Date walked: 21/07/2020

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.8 km

Ascent: 193m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day that appeared nicer than forecast, where I had no big plans. Malky was working so again, I thought it fair to get out from under his feet and have some fun! I was still limited to small hills with little ascent thanks to Corona (booooo) but I’ve done a lot of cycling which doesn’t seem to be so bad. So a bike hike it was 8)

I had a lazy breakfast of leftover cheesecake from the night before, and then hopped on the bike. It was a nice easy freewheel down the hill (would pay for that later!) to the A82, which was surprisingly quiet.
ImageA82 - mercifully quiet

After around 5km into the wind I reached my turn-off

Malky had warned me that this hill was a real b*stard… but it didn’t seem too bad just yet…
ImageSo far so good

ImageAs I climbed the views started to open out

ImageQuick pee stop

The hill meandered along; it was steep and there was a lot of it, but nothing too awful. Well, not until I turned a corner and was confronted with….
ImageUghhh

This bit did nearly finish me off :shock: Although bike fitness was doing pretty well, big hills were still a bit of a killer as they sent my already messed up breathing sky-high :shock: Of course a van caught me up on the last bit – no way was I stopping :lol:
ImagePretty trees

And then the hill just kept on going :shock:
ImageNot again...

Fortunately it did even out soon enough and I was out on the top – still undulating, and definitely into the wind, but a whole lot less uphill than before :lol:
ImageOut on the top

It was really beautiful too – the colours of the heather and the big old trees 8)
ImageLovely colours

As I approached Blackford I could see my hill across the moor (although I’d be cycling around and approaching it from the other side)
ImageCarn a' Bhodaich ahead

After a few more twists and turns I arrived at my track – it was fairly obvious fortunately, and locked the bike to the fence.
ImageLeaving the wheels behind for now

I changed my hat and got my poles out – the track looked decent but I’d been warned that there would be much worse ground ahead :shock:
ImageTrack ahoy

Although the track was good underfoot it was definitely uphill and I found myself getting really out of breath quickly. I had to slow to a crawl but it gave me time to enjoy the views and the weather as the sun was out and it was lovely!
ImageAhead to Carn a' Bhodaich

The track took a wiggle into the woods here – although sections of the track were good there were some really squishy bits that took a bit of getting around!
Imagenice....

Climbing out of the woods the views started to return
ImageLooking across to Ben Wyvis

Now out of the trees I had hoped that the ground would improve (and in short sections it did) but there was a lot of hopping over soggy bits – fortunately there seemed to have been enough footfall along here to have created some bypass tracks around the worst bits
ImageMy hill ahead

I also managed to pick up a following of flies that were buzzing around my head :shock:
ImageLooking back across a nasty bit

As I climbed higher the sides of the hill became impressively craggy – although the summit was pretty much directly above here I would follow Malky’s advice and walk around!
ImageCraggy bit

ImageLooking back

As I approached the high point of the track it was time to leave it and head over towards the summit. Although the ground was horrible, full of heather and really scratchy, it was actually very dry. Given the level of bog lower down I was expecting wet feet!
ImageMy route ahead

ImageLooking back down the track as I leave it

It was a fairly short section of steep heather before I was on the plateau. Here the ground was tussocky but nothing like as bad as I’d feared.
ImageSummit ahoy!

It was a short walk across to the trig point and I even picked up a faint path for some of the way. It was a relief to reach the summit, and the views were spectacular! I was definitely wishing I’d brought a proper camera rather than my crappy phone :roll:
ImageCarn a' Bhodaich summit

ImageLoch Ness and Meall Fuar-Mhonaid

ImageStrathfarrar hills

ImageStrathfarrar and Strathconon Hills

ImageBen Wyvis

Couldn’t manage a photo on the trig as I was on my own!
ImageCarn a' Bhodaich summit

It was a cracking summit, and fortunately there was enough breeze to blow away my crown of flies (but not so much that I couldn’t sit and enjoy the views 8) ) It was also most definitely lunch time!

A plane came over as I was relaxing – no idea if it’s a commercial plane or more exciting!
ImagePlane spotting

ImageInverness and the Moray Firth

After a while it was time to go – it was going to take me a while to get down and then I had a decision to make…. :crazy:

The gradient ahead looked decent, and it would cut off quite a lot of distance, so I decided to give it a go. The walking was actually not too bad, although a bit soggy near the bottom but I managed to keep my feet dry 8)
ImageMy descent route - not actually as bad as it looks

ImageBack on track

I made my way carefully along the track (it wouldn’t do to get wet feet now!)
ImageLooking back

ImageBack to my hill

Back in the forest I had to negotiate this again
ImageUghh

ImageBeautiful colours

I heard some bellowing noises before discovering it was this deer
ImageOh deer!

The woods were really impressive – lots of old trees
ImageWoods

Back at the bike I spent about 10 minutes tipping heather out of my shoes :lol: Here I had a decision to make – so far I’d clocked up 15km on the bike – I could take the 20km freewheel or the 30km more interesting route. Once I’d had a short break my breathing seemed to be ok so thought I’d go for the more interesting option – after all, there couldn’t be more up than the way out could there?!
ImageLoch Lait

ImageMoniack Mor - creative writing centre with views!

There was a lot of steep descent through Foxhole and beyond – it did make me think that coming up this way would have been just as bad, but also that I was going to pay for it later :shock:

Actually I made the main road (A833) without anything difficult, and from here it was familiar hills
ImageMain road!

ImageKessock Bridge - nearly home!

ImageBeauly firth

Unfortunately I still had to deal with the hill up to the house, but I’m pretty sure I’ve discovered my new favourite cycling route 8)

Cycling – 52km, 507m ascent, 3 hours

Another_heathery_mess_Carn_a_Bhodaich_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

activity_5270831111.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Oh deer, it's another heathery mess

Postby gld73 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:22 am

Your favourite cycling route involves the A82 and A862 in summer??? Either you're insane, or you got lucky with the traffic :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Oh deer, it's another heathery mess

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:56 pm

gld73 wrote:Your favourite cycling route involves the A82 and A862 in summer??? Either you're insane, or you got lucky with the traffic :lol:

Definitely insane 8) But was very lucky with the traffic actually - all the roads were quiet. Must have all been up on the NC500 :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland