walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hot n horrid

Hot n horrid

Postby John Stonebridge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, Glen Loy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan (Great Glen)

Date walked: 10/08/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Four of us set off thinking this would be a pleasant walk on a moderately warm day.

The route was unfathomable though the bracken and the steep gradient (20% for 3km we later learned) soon had my mother in law bailing out on us, and she promised to amble back to the car via a direct detrace.

The path got no better - even sticking directly to the gpx based route it didnt much matter, there was no discernable track.

A degree of respite was achieved once we got close to the top but there was no wind or shade and the temperature had clearly exceeded the forecast of 22 deg.

A weary trudge to the top in baking windless conditions made for a very short stop at the top at the 4 hr mark and our descent.

This took us out of any chance of a breeze facing directly into the sun so the midgies had a field day as we couldnt descent particularly fast. It was Like having your head in a midge filled oven with a sun lamp a few inches away for added heat.

A mix up with the aforementioned mother in law meant a retrace back up the hill again to go find her, by this our stage knees and feet were suffering.

We eventually got back to the car 7 hours after setting off hot and hangry. 10km in total.

My son who is more used to a QMD than I am pronounced it his least enjoyable day walking ever. I agreed.
John Stonebridge
Rambler

Re: Hot n horrid

Postby Sand01 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Gosh. Sounds awful. Lucky you managed to find your elderly M.I.L in all that bracken! At least the sun was shining and the views are great. :D
Sand01
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland