walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An avenue of Buddleia

An avenue of Buddleia

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Date walked: 10/08/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.4 km

Ascent: 215m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am normally in Switzerland at this time of year, - in fact I don't think I have been in the highlands in August for at least 50 years :lol: :lol: - but COVID has changed all that :(
In the woods North of St. Fillans the tracks are lined in Buddleia which is now in flower - the honeyed aroma is quite overpowering :D though I don't think there are as many butterflies as there should be. :(
The particular track I take for my one hour or so walk several times a week is not on the WH map, but zig-zags up the hill from the top of Station Road to a seat and cairn with a fine view down Loch Earn. it then descends to the older track wich IS shown on the map and following that down I return along the old railway/cycle track.
here are some photos
8347.JPG

8348.JPG

8407.JPG
An odd white one
8357.JPG

8373.JPG

8379.JPG
Near the top the track flattens out
8380.JPG
And reaches the viewpoint
8382.JPG
Donna made it to this point which was quite an acheivement for her
8385.JPG
The Buddleia continues
8397.JPG

8400.JPG
A slightly darker bush
8383.JPG

8401.JPG
At tthe bottom just before it intersects the railway
Although this is a commercial forest the tracks are lined with a wide variety of native (and some not so native) plants :lol:
8405.JPG

8409.JPG

8415.JPG
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: An avenue of Buddleia

Postby Anne C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:16 pm

I read the title of your report twice to check I'd read it properly - we were in that exact same area two weeks ago, a wee day away and a circular walk above St Fillan's. I noticed the same thing - the incredible amount of Buddleia, I've never seen anything like it. It was glorious.I assume it must have spilled out over the years from gardens and taken root.Beautiful area.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am

Anne C wrote:I read the title of your report twice to check I'd read it properly - we were in that exact same area two weeks ago, a wee day away and a circular walk above St Fillan's. I noticed the same thing - the incredible amount of Buddleia, I've never seen anything like it. It was glorious.I assume it must have spilled out over the years from gardens and taken root.Beautiful area.

Oh No - I'm sure the bulk of it was planted deliberately - though it may have spread : this is a new(ish) track as it's not on the map and there are only occasional Buddleia bushes on the old track or by the cycle tracki/disused railway: the estate probably wanted to encourage wild life - the seeds make excellent winter food for small birds
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 am

Who needs Switzerland when you have this on your back door..........
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland