walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bhuiridh

Beinn a'Bhuiridh

Postby SecondRow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bhuiridh, near Loch Awe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 11/08/2020

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 11.81 km

Ascent: 909m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a Bhuiridh11082020.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a long lay off, this was the first chance to get out in the hills since Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh in February. I had had an eye on this one for a while and it being within 45 minutes from the house was a serious upside.

The forecast was warm with possible thunderstorms. I decided to take the chance and re-assess if any serious risk of thunder appeared.

Starting just outside Dalmally, it is was an interesting start to the walk, passing through HIghland Cow infested territory and then an old quarry. There is a peculiar ruined structure further up the hill. which I assume was something to do with the quarry or potentially the hydro scheme at Cruachan?

63332A81-2242-4DD5-BAC4-3BAE95FCDCB5.jpeg

The initially steep ascent gave way to the ridge, it might have been due to a partial lack of hill fitness, but the going felt pretty rough by ridge walk standards, with a lot of uneven ground. Typical for a Corbett in my experience.

Although there was no sign of the thunderstorms, the going was sweltering and I appeared to be under constant attack from flying ants. After a final steeper push to the summit, I was rewarded with some spectacular, if slightly hazy views towards over the main Cruachan horseshoe and further away the islands.

8F0C236B-2D6A-4D26-87E8-EA98953ECCEF.jpeg

FD2A04BB-5251-4707-9027-E7A4FADD8F64.jpeg

AD4926DD-88C3-4631-B11B-D5F876355888.jpeg

Retracing my steps, I found the descend slow with now tiring legs and some steep ground to negotiate (does anyone else ask "why am I doing this?" only to start planning the next trip as soon as back at the car).

Enjoying the easy last stretch the car I collapsed into the driver seat before the mercifully short drive home to a cool beer.
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn a'Bhuiridh

Postby iangpark » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 pm

(does anyone else ask "why am I doing this?" only to start planning the next trip as soon as back at the car).

On this very hill a couple of weeks ago :lol:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby PeteR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Retracing my steps, I found the descend slow with now tiring legs and some steep ground to negotiate (does anyone else ask "why am I doing this?" only to start planning the next trip as soon as back at the car).

Normally when I'm dragging myself out of bed at a silly time in the morning to drive to the start of my chosen route, then repeated pretty much the whole way round :lol:

The bit for me is when I've been slogging away and wondering why I never chose stamp collecting instead (there is nothing wrong with stamp collecting btw :lol: ) and then the views open up and the reason I do it is there in front of me. I wouldn't want to do anything else to be honest.

This is a good hill though, although probably overlooked by many because of its more illustrious neighbours. Glad you got a decent day to enjoy the views, even if you felt there were a little hazy
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby tweedledog » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 am

I live just down the road from this hill, of which I am very fond. It's a good afternoon outing.
The ruined structure that you picture was indeed part of the quarrying, housing a winding mechanism - I presume to lower materials from the higher quarries down to where it could be carried out on the railway track then to be transferred to the main line east of Lochawe. This system ran from around 1885 up to the First World War. The quarries were for granite and the track that you walked in on is the bed of the old railway line.
There are water intakes that feed the Cruachan hydro system across the other side on the slopes of Beinn a'Chochuill, but the ones on the Beinn a'Bhuiridh side feed a smaller hydro unit which you can see down by the river as you walk along the track.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby SecondRow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

tweedledog wrote:I live just down the road from this hill, of which I am very fond. It's a good afternoon outing.
The ruined structure that you picture was indeed part of the quarrying, housing a winding mechanism - I presume to lower materials from the higher quarries down to where it could be carried out on the railway track then to be transferred to the main line east of Lochawe. This system ran from around 1885 up to the First World War. The quarries were for granite and the track that you walked in on is the bed of the old railway line.
There are water intakes that feed the Cruachan hydro system across the other side on the slopes of Beinn a'Chochuill, but the ones on the Beinn a'Bhuiridh side feed a smaller hydro unit which you can see down by the river as you walk along the track.

Thanks for the info, I was intrigued by the ruins. Must have been quite a different landscape 100+ years ago.
SecondRow
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tweedledog » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am

Thought you might be interested in this. That's the main quarry with subsidiary ones above. In the top left you can see your stone structure and the marks left by, presumably, some system of rails going down the steep hillside for the winding system. Shot from the slopes of Beinn Eunaich. I've got another picture somewhere that shows the marks more clearly but, of course, I can't find it when I want it!
IMG_3087.JPG
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am

Been a few years now since I had a belter of a day on this hill. Drove past it on Friday evening and yesterday on the way back south from Beinn Sgulaird and it brought back fond memories. As for yesterday on Sgulaird and Creach Bheinn, I did indeed ask myself the WHY question innumerable times as I was losing enough bodily fluids through perspiration to turn into a human prune! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SecondRow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 pm

tweedledog wrote:Thought you might be interested in this. That's the main quarry with subsidiary ones above. In the top left you can see your stone structure and the marks left by, presumably, some system of rails going down the steep hillside for the winding system. Shot from the slopes of Beinn Eunaich. I've got another picture somewhere that shows the marks more clearly but, of course, I can't find it when I want it!
IMG_3087.JPG

Great picture, the position of the winch housing makes a lot more sense now.

Many thanks for sharing this.
SecondRow
Walker

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland