walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kaim Hill

Kaim Hill

Postby rob munbett » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 am

Date walked: 13/08/2020

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 3.88 km

Ascent: 158m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Still restricted to easy walking hills, I decided on a short morning's stroll up Kaim Hill. The weather was perfect for hill-walking - dry and bright and with a good breeze to keep the midges and flies away. I parked on the minor road to the SE of the hill at the cattle grid (NS234518). From here I followed a rough ATV track over Green Hill and then alongside a fence.
P1040525.JPG
Kaim Hill from Green Hill
This track started to dip down and veer away from Kaim Hill so I crossed the fence and a crumbling dyke and headed across wetter and rougher terrain towards the slope of the hill.
IMG_20200813_123048.jpg
Crossing the fence and dyke
I aimed for a gap in a dyke that traversed the hillside higher up and beyond this the going became easier on heather clad moorland. Over a rise, I saw the gleaming white trig of the summit for the first time and headed directly for it.
P1040528.JPG
First sight of the summit
I was soon enjoying the views along the coastline and, because of the breeze, I was able to sit for while to enjoy a snack and drink without being pestered by insects- the first time I've been able to do this for some time!
P1040529.JPG
On the summit, looking towards Larges
After a good rest, I just headed back to the car by the route of ascent. By now it was becoming very hot and humid and I was glad to be heading home with the air-con on.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland