walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Storr, a new perspective

The Storr, a new perspective

Postby OweyJH1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Route description: The Storr - ascent

Fionas included on this walk: Hartaval, The Storr

Date walked: 01/08/2020

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 950m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

]Having visited Skye for many years, the Storr is by far one of my most popular walks. In recent years, and despite the obvious benefit to the island, it does sadden me to see the original car park over run with vehicles of all shapes and sizes, with the main routes on the walk heaving with holidaymakers. For me this isn't what I desire from a hill walk, I crave the solitude and silence that the mountains give me. Last year, my brother in law and I decided to approach the summit from a different route to regain this desire.

This year I set out alone from our starting point last year. Despite the first mile or so trudging through bogs, heather and tussocky ground, a steep and grassy incline is suddenly reached, with rocky crags towering above (just what Skye is all about). Picking my way carefully through this, calves and thighs straining with the effort of this incline, I soon emerged onto a more gradual ascent to the Storr, linking up with the 'traditional path'. The cloud had closed in this point, offering a murky and mysterious atmosphere as I ascended the familiar grassy and rocky route towards the summit, not another soul visible.

The cloud started to clear as I reached the battered old trig point, and I was delighted to see the Cuillin in all its glory through dramatic gaps in the cloud. I could've stayed there all day, had a slightly icy wind not been blowing. I had thoroughly enjoyed this new ascent up the Storr, and agreed to definitely make this my new way up. The view from the top never disappoints, however I was saddened to see that a previous visitor had scribbled needlessly with permanent ink a link to their instagram account on the trig point. Please DO NOT do this. If you really feel the need for followers, don't graffiti on these wild and beautiful spots.

Not yet being ready to return to my car, and with decent weather approaching, I consulted my map, and for fun decided to walk up a previously unvisited peak called Hartaval, the next in the Trottenish ridge link. I descended the grassy slopes, and soon joined a faint path and started the gentle ascent to Hartaval, an unassuming point, but nonetheless impressive, particularly with the dramatic clouds swirling around. I stopped to have some lunch here, admiring the fresh perspective I was getting of the Storr, the ridge and Skye in general.

My return route was the same as my ascent, taking care on the grassy slopes back down towards level ground. I thoroughly enjoyed this refreshing walk, full of new panoramas, but most importantly, the solitude and headspace that only comes in these rugged and remote spots.
Attachments
25071631-2E54-4B8E-9C47-28FFD038AB14.jpeg
Ominous ascent up
CFB763E8-234D-46B4-8CAD-1C256B8615D8.jpeg
Stunning views South from the trig
5BEAEB86-862B-4C0D-B20C-0F144780DC79.jpeg
Completely unnecessary graffiti on the trig point. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.
DC23E577-97D2-4E24-B936-F5F4AACCD4D4.jpeg
Dramatic swirling clouds along the ridge from Hartaval
3E9973E5-D73E-4DA5-B375-0D3E9D231E57.jpeg
Looking back towards the Storr from Hartaval
B9503B80-0A9A-40A0-A826-F65500C6FA49.jpeg
Looking back towards the Storr on the descent

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

OweyJH1
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:14
Fionas:9   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:14   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland