walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond and Ben Ibrox :-) lol

Ben Lomond and Ben Ibrox :-) lol

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 13/02/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned to walk with Rick on Sunday (Cruach Ardrain/BeinnTuliachean), but weather forecast was very poor compared with Saturday and as I am going away all of next week (work) I decided to go out on Saturday instead so I could spend the day with Mrs 2d and kids on Sunday.

The challenge though was to get up a hill and back in time to get to the football for 3pm kick off with 2d jr!

So the day started at 0545, up and dressed (bag already packed) and in the car by 0630.

Main objectives:- (1) test micro spikes - done very good on ice but not in deep snow (2) test new ice axe - very good and added confidence (3) get a good leg stretch - done and quite pleased with fitness. This was the first munro I climbed and it took nearly 7 hours (although via circular route down Ptarmigan ridge).
P2120076.JPG
0721 am - Ruby ready to go as always

I reached the lomond sign after 30 mins not having seen a soul, but soon after I was passed by a couple of lads going at a fair pace.
P2120084.JPG

First cup of tea after about an hour
P2120087.JPG
just about the best view all day!

P2120086.JPG
ruby posing as usual!

Reached the snow line at about 600mtrs and put the microspikes on - really made a big difference.

I kept following the tracks left by the two lads (Kevin and Davie) who passed earlier and eventually caught up with them at 2300ft. They were about to turn back as they were unsure of the route but after a bit of achat we all decided to head up together. I took a mark on the GPS for reference and we set off.

Eventually we called it quits at 10am at 3064ft not too far from the top.
P2120090.JPG
kevin, Davie and Ruby at 3064ft

This was the first munro for one of the lads (not sure which) and I think only the second for the other, so well done to them both!
P2120092.JPG
sorry not much of a view

Made it back to the car at around 1140am and had another quick cuppa before heading home to pick up Jamie.

I have to say I was astonished at how busy the hill was - probably 25 walkers including a crazy group of French lads wearing trainers and shorts, and some others with jeans and t-shirts on. I did tell them all about the conditions but nobody turned back. I hope they made it home safely...
P2120093.JPG
cheers!

Made it home by 1230, quick shower and change of clothes and off to the game (not gonna say which team I was supporting though!)

P2120094.JPG
last cup of the day at the summit of Ben Ibrox Lol!

P2120097.JPG
Beware of the Bear???
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P2120089.JPG
me and ruby
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Lomond and Ben Ibrox :-) lol

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Great report, found myself wondering where you get all that energy from............then noticed 2 stone of chocolate on the back of the car :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Good one!!

The micro spikes are fab eh? Your fitness must be none too bad to go up there. I'm desperate to get out but the lungs are letting me down just now.

Regarding the chocolate - don't you usually take a lot more than a 2-stone weight :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

ehem..excuse me, but the chocolate on the car belongs to Ruby 8) ...

...mine was in the blue bag!!! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Nice one 2dalmatilons,looks like ruby and you had a fine day
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tango » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Good/funny report made me chuckle :lol: , dont feel guilty about the chocolate Ruby you need loads on a day like that!! :shock: cheers....
tango

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi 2D's,

Yesterday was a bummer for getting any sort of view out West, but fun report and you & Ruby seemed to enjoy it. I don't believe your chocolate excuse, as anyone into their dogs as you are will know chocolate is pure poison to dogs...as is grapes, raisins etc, and tea & coffee....thought I would mention just in case anyone reading didn't know.

Hope your team did better than mine yesterday......

Regards..................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:14 pm

a bit of chocolate is fine Bruadair, it certainly isn't poison in that quantity :)

and neither are grapes and raisins

unsure about tea or coffee 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 am

Merry-walker wrote:a bit of chocolate is fine Bruadair, it certainly isn't poison in that quantity :)

and neither are grapes and raisins

unsure about tea or coffee 8)

For those interested see following link or just Google food poisonous to dogs.

http://www.vetinfo.com/foods-poisonous-dogs.html

Regards..........B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am

Please don't believe every thing you see on the internet

I was a trained veterinary nurse, as well as a registered nurse and my old dog, 18 years of age, plus my Mez would beg to differ on the chocolate.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one Bruadair, :) :)

Great report 2D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland