walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac Pollaidh family meander...and the return of the pies!

Stac Pollaidh family meander...and the return of the pies!

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 08/08/2020

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 550m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Stac Pollaidh.
Date: 08/08/2020.
Distance: 5km.
Ascent: 550m.
Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Sunny and warm.

A trip to Lochinver had been high on our agenda ever since the relaxing of lockdown - both for the pie shop and for some outdoor recreation. Originally we had planned to head up and camp for a couple of nights to walk somewhere and also cycle a circuit taking in Loch Assynt and the Inverkirkaig road. Somehow we didn't find time for any of that earlier in the summer, and Jackie was still unsure whether she could manage quite such a hilly cycle. So in the end we had a day trip out that way with my parents. Dad is always keen for a wander up Stac Pollaidh (at least as far as the final pinnacle anyway) and Mum usually enjoys walking around the hill on the circular path (less of a fan of climbing right up onto the ridge. Jackie felt that the amount of ascent would be about right for her too.

We arrived in Lochinver for lunchtime and picked up some pies to take round the corner to Inverkirkaig - sitting out in the sun eating these was absolutely fantastic. We also picked up a few more for the freezer - our last stash ran out in around April!

Lochinver

Loch Kirkaig

We drove onwards around the winding road to Stac Pollaidh - I have no idea whether this route is quicker than going back through Inchnadamph and Elphin, but it is definitely a lot shorter! Our rather slapdash strategy worked - parking at Stac Pollaidh looked rather chaotic with cars in passing places for the best part of a mile before we reached the foot of the hill. However, being after 2:30pm, we managed to slot right into a space at the main carpark 8) .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cul Mor and Cul Beag from Loch Buine Moire

Then it was the usual ascent - a bit of a dance lower down in the woodland trying to avoid people descending, but far fewer people as we gained height. Mum has never been a fast walker, but her pace has definitely got slower over recent years. Jackie found here very good for pacing, as it stopped her for flying off at the start and getting knackered too quickly.

Loch Lurgainn

Stac Pollaidh

Cul Mor and Loch and Doire Dhuibhe

As on Carn na Coinnich the other day, there was little wind and a band of midges were lurking between 300 and 500m. We hurriedly said goodbye to Mum and made the final ascent to the ridge line. A couple were camping on the eastern summit, and Jackie showed me a far eastern summit at the end of a short traverse that I hadn't visited previously. It was a great spot to view the rest of the ridge from.

Suilven and Canisp over Loch Sionasgaig

Out to Stoer

West along the ridge from the Far East summit

Cul Mor from Stac Pollaidh

Beinn Mor Coigach

We carried on towards the summit, mainly keeping life easy for ourselves and not indulging in too many really awkward bits. Away from the col, there were even fewer people. Visibility was great, and although I prefer Beinn Mor Coigach in this area, you can't get bored of Stac Pollaidh!

East along the summit ridge

Some rock en route

Jackie and Dad

Cul Beag from Stac Pollaidh

We persuaded Dad over the short bum shuffle section (which he often chickens out of) but he was not to be drawn on the final scramble. Jackie and I went for it - her up the chimney to the south and me directly up the pinnacle (our preferred routes). We had the summit to ourselves.

Last section of the ridge...with the awkward pinnacle

NW from the summit

Squeezy way to the summit

Summit shot

Cul Beag and Loch Lurgainn

Altandhu peninsula

Suilven from the top

Cuillin and Trotternish

Beinn Mor Coigach

Suilven

Point of Stoer

After crossing back over to Dad, we persuaded him that he might as well descend the gully to the north of the awkward step. This was steep and a bit scrabbly in places, but easy enough and with impressive rock scenery. Before long we were on the circular path.

Pinnacle on descent

Descending the gully

North side of Stac Pollaidh

Suilven again

Round the end of Stac Pollaidh

The western side of the circuit is boggier than I remember, but a nice way to avoid coming back the same route. The midges had been no bother on the summit, but they intensified now to the point where Jackie and I legged it, leaving Dad to catch up.

Looking back

Fortunately I had given Mum a spare car key as she had arrived 20 minutes or so before us. Once Dad was down, I drove off at speed with the windows open to disperse any midges that had hitched a ride. We stopped at Ardmair to change boots and stretch out a bit before heading back to Inverness. A fine day :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland