walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a' Choin, steep but what a view

Stob a' Choin, steep but what a view

Postby Tam Collie » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:17 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob a' Choin

Date walked: 23/08/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 13.13 km

Ascent: 1064m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quick trip up what must be one of the steepest of Corbetts at least if you go by the voie normal as recorded in the SMC Corbett book.

I'd been putting this one off for a while, a lot of excuses getting in the way, and then the bridge was washed away and then there was lochdown but most of all it's steep.

I'm happy to report that the bridge has now been replaced and a very fine structure it is too ! I suspect that a little more work is needed to construct the off ramp on the South side but it's a fine bridge.

IMG_1414.JPG

I didn't find a noticeable track on the other side of the bridge, there may be one higher up the hillside as farmers where gathering sheep and bringing them down , so I traversed to the foot of the north facing corrie, crossing a burn and a wire fence with a garden gate and started the long pull up the hill searching in vain for a path, deer, sheep or rambler.

IMG_1416.JPG
views opening up

Across the valley the Crianlarich hills looked impressive with their tops in cloud

IMG_1417.JPG

The going was damp but the grass not too tall or tussocky and not the botanical-fest I'd hoped for and it started spotting rain as tails of cloud curled into the shallow corrie. 750m later I broached the ridge and the top came into sight.
IMG_1426.JPG
the top coming into sight

The views from the top are superb, while the northern aspect is truncated by the Crianlarich hills the panorama was impressive. Worth the effort in the climb and a good point to link recent adventures.
IMG_1431.JPG

While enjoying the views I was joined on the top by a young shepherd and his dogs who had been gathering sheep, his colleagues had the lower path across the bealach. We chatted for a while as he caught his breath before continuing his hill sweep. I'd heard voices, dog whistles and the cackle of walkie-talkies while climbing but was unable to pin-point them, an acoustic effect in the corrie. It was reassuring to know I hadn't been hearing the fairies..

A quick bite to eat and then a bimble along the nobbles to descend the NE ridge and a line of old iron fence posts. Here for the first time I found a light path, broken in places but useful none the less. A final rest overlooking the glen above the new bridge and then down steep slopes to reach the river and the estate track.
IMG_1435.JPG
Overlooking the bridge on descent

All that was left was the yomp along the road back to the car and navigating the single track road back to Balquidder! A sound day out and a real cherry, certainly a candidate for the steepbbbbest route up a Corbett as well as a fine viewpoint.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

Re: Stob a' Choin, steep but what a view

Postby kaye.cantlay » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 am

I was there yesterday - thanks for the tip off about the bridge! And a fine bridge it is too.
And yes - it sure is a steep and exhausting hill - but so worth the efforts. I loved the summit so much :-)
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Re: Stob a' Choin, steep but what a view

Postby gaffr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 am

Yes too, one of our favourite Corbetts with a pathless steepish assent and fine view Northwards to the several Munros ...perhaps along with Stob Dubh from Glenceitlein in Glen Etive and the traverse of Beinn Dearg in Torridon and he ones on Arran ....so many Corbetts are very fine. Could it be that they were visited in recent times?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland