walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tumps up Gleann Casaig from brig o' Turk

Tumps up Gleann Casaig from brig o' Turk

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Date walked: 23/08/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 18.8 km

Ascent: 1017m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided to test my wonky knee (that's the correct medical term, I think) by increasing distance and metres of ascent from my last few walks. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I drove up early to park at Brig o' Turk at 9a.m. The forecast was for cloud but no rain - well, after about half an hour that proved to be wrong and the gore-tex had to come out of the rucksack - and stayed out for the rest of the day. I left the track along the banks of the Finglass reservoir and headed steeply up the good track in Gleann Casaig.
PANO_20200823_130443.jpg
Blooming Gleann Casaig - Stuc Dhubh a way in the distance
My plan was to follow this to its end on the 662m top of Stuc Dhubh and then walk across to the tops of Am Fieach and then Ardnadave Hill. I wasn't going to bother with the 3rd Tump, Bioran na Circe, as I had bagged that years ago on the traverse from Ledi to Benvane - no point overdoing things! The problem was that when I reached Stuc Dhubh my knee was knackered but I carried on on a muddy track beside the fence posts before setting off across the heathery moorland towards Am Fireach.
PANO_20200823_112807.jpg
Looking over to Am Fireach and Ardnadave Hill from Stuc Dhubh
I have to say that the terrain was not pleasant - lots of bog, peat hags and heather. In addition, the rain was now getting heavier and low cloud was swirling about. Happily, I managed to get a few photos when things cleared a bit. Heading from Am Fireach to Ardnadave Hill was no easy matter either with an awkward deer fence to negotiate and some more challenging terrain and, worst of all, I was not even rewarded by a view for all my efforts as the clouds rolled back in - along with clouds of midges for added annoyance.
IMG_20200823_114350.jpg
Heading over to Ardnandave Hill from Am Fireach
Without a pause, I headed back towards the head of the track on Stuc Dhubh and started the long, painful walk back to the car, with many more ups and downs on the way. I must admit that by the time I got to the car I wasn't feeling too well as the pain was becoming too much to bear. As I sit here this morning writing this report I know that my 'experiment' was ill-advised and I realise, frustratingly, I'll have to stick to easier walks for a while longer.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland