walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain - 360 degrees of munros!

Stuchd an Lochain - 360 degrees of munros!

Postby jwramsay » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 23/08/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 560m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday 23rd August 2020, Pedro and I bagged our firs post Covid 2020 lockdown munro - Stuchd An Lochain (960m).

The Dam:
1-TheDam.jpg

Stuchd an Lochain is behind this hill:
2-TheHill.jpg

Cairn marks start of ascent:
3-startOfClimb.jpg

Meall Buidhe - usually combined with Stuchd an Lochain:
5-MeallBuidhe.jpg

This is situated at the bottom of Glen Lyon and is normally bagged in conjunction with it's neighbour across the other side of the dam Meall Buidhe (932m), which strangely enough was the last munro that Pedro and I walked together in April 2019!

From ridge - views to Glen Lyon & The Lawers Range:
4-glenLyonLawersRange.jpg

Closeup -look for the 4 walkers descending the munro:
6-MeallBuidheCLoseup.jpg

The Lochan:
7-lochan.jpg

Another 200 miles on the odometer of my car found us back at the dam again and assisted with the height start of 400m above sea level we climbed 560m to the 960m summit where we got the most wonderful views I think I have ever had from the top of any munro. Hills everywhere! Behind us was Glen Lyon with the horseshoe 4 and Schiehallion at the top. Right beside it The Lawers range with An Stuc showing its terrifying decent! Only when you get to the summit of Stuchd an Lochain do you get the money shot! The view over the expanse of Rannoch Moor to Buachaille Etive Mor, Bidean Nam Bian and The Anoach Eagach Ridge - fan bloody tastic. To thee right again, the Mamores, Ben Nevis, CMD, The Aonachs, The Grey Corries.

We even saw the Drumochter Munros and Ben a Glo!

The money shots - Rannoch Moor:
8-rannochMoor.jpg

9-RannochMoorWide.jpg

Panoramic shot of Glen Lyon and Lawers Range:
P1180346.JPG

Panoramic shot of Rannoch Moor and the Mamores:
P1180392.JPG

Meall Ghaordaidh:
10-Meall Ghaordaidh.jpg

It was so peaceful and tranquil up there that we stayed on the summit for over one hour soaking up the views in the ever changing light.

Then that horrid decent down the steep bit and back to the path. Someone had locked the gate, prior to the dam, so DO NOT PARK at the dam else you could be locked in!

Video:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland