walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cloud on Sabhal Beag

Cloud on Sabhal Beag

Postby TheTortoise » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am

Grahams included on this walk: Sabhal Beag

Date walked: 13/08/2020

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We drove to Achfary from near Dingwall and started to walk about 10ish. The forecast had been a little unclear for the far north of Scotland, but we knew that it wouldn't rain, and we had cleared access with the stalker, so we were sort of committed. There was low cloud on the hills but we hoped that it would lift. I cycled to Lone and a little further, whereas the Hare walked and caught me up on the long walk in along the track to the bealach. It was sunny along the first part of the track.
IMG_20200813_112841Sabhal.jpg
Looking towards the hill
We ate lunch by a bridge before the final section of track, because we had a feeling (correct) that we might be in cloud for the rest of the journey.
IMG_20200813_130146Sabhal.jpg
Fern at lunchtime
From the bealach it was up grassy slopes then barer ground with lots of flattish grey white stones. Sometimes the sun shone through the cloud and i saw my shadow once or twice. There was a very welcome cool breeze which kept the flies away. The summit cairn is very short!
IMG_20200813_145922Sabhal.jpg
The summit
Then we returned the same way. By the time we were back at the car, Ben Stack was just clear and there were good views of Arkle too (but we have enough better pictures of Arkle from other years).
IMG_20200813_155024Sabhal.jpg
Ben Stack clearing
We stayed in the car park at Achfary overnight, but it was horribly midgy in the morning - they were dancing in clouds outside in anticipation of a feast. Because the van is new (to us), we still haven't worked out where they are getting in - though we did discover that one of the doors wasn't properly shut, so maybe that was the problem. If you have a tent, once you pack it up, the midges inside won't be alive later in the day. But with a van, there are numerous little crevices that they can disappear into, then come out later!
Here is our approximate route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Grahams:192   Donalds:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland