walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby stoyks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 10/02/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 888m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It wasn't my intention to take the kids (Josh 6 and Georgia 9) up a Munro on our recent walking holiday. However they'd done well on some long and steep walks during the week as well as making short work of Ben A'an on the Tuesday. This, along with the fact that we arose that morning to glorious sunshine and no wind, persuaded me that this would be a good chance to introduce them to the world of Munros. I chose Ben Chonzie as it was the closest to our lodge and also posed the least danger in terms of ridges, drops etc.

We set off from the Invergelide car park at 09:30 past the farmhouse, small pond and over the burn. The path began to gently climb at this point and snow and ice started to appear. Once over the ford by the dam the snow became deeper and this along with the steepness of the path made heavy going. It was at this point that we started to notice lots of strange tracks in the snow shaped like a tripod with a fourth track in the middle. With stories abound of the fabled "lesser spotted haggis" the kids soldiered on up the ever steepening track until we eventually reached the cairn at the tracks ends.

The path across the moorland to the fence posts had completely iced over so we trudged (skated!) across this and then up the incline to the false summit, scaring a mountain hare on the way (the source of the footprints!). Bizzarely the ice had mostly melted away on the summit ridge (very broad) giving way to a beautiful meadow glimmering in the sunshine. A short walk followed up to the summit cairn. The kids had conquered their first Munro and we were all rewarded with spectacular views of the Southern Mountains.

The trip back down was swift and easier with more mountain hares in view. The ice and snow had started to melt somewhat yet this didn't stop Josh falling into his first gully (we've all done it!). We headed back to the car and back to the lodge and straight into the hot tub with a cold glass of wine.

Great day out and proud as punch that my kids (and wife incidentally!) had bagged their first Munro. :D
DSCN1084_1391.JPG
kids at the summit
DSCN1082_1389.JPG
view from first cairn
Attachments
DSCN1086_1393.JPG
Josh at summit
DSCN1083_1390.JPG
path of ice
DSCN1081_1388.JPG
steep path up to first cairn
stoyks
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby kinley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

8) Looks great :)
kinley

Postby Alan S » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:24 pm

stoyks wrote: my kids (and wife incidentally!) had bagged their first Munro

Excellant 8) cant wait to get my two kids up with me, looks like you all had a good day
Nice pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby yokehead » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Brilliant! What a result for you all, bet the kids loved their great adventure - a bit different to playing around in the snow at home. 8) Congrats on the start of their Munro career, maybe? :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Very nice first report,and some fine pics to back your report up.You must be very proud of your kids climbing their first munro(not forgetting your mrs too)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Great report and cracking good photo's - congrats to the Mrs & kids on their first munro. That second pic is fantastic with the views away in the distance. That is the epitome of 'spending time with the family' :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland