Travel and Coronavirus
Temporary Coronavirus restrictions and travel advice applies until 2nd November, when new guidance will be introduced.
Click for details
Ben Challum -- Fail
by David.Ferguson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm
Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum
Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum
Date walked: 15/02/2011
Time taken: 2.5 hours
Ascent: 600mRegister or Login free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Full of good intentions today and was up and away for 6:30 and parked up and heading for Kirkton Farm just after 8am.
All looked good from the roadside.!!
MWIS said pretty good early but with increasing wind and some snow showers as the day went on.Headed on uphill into an increasing wind which was bitterly cold.Above what looked like 700m the hill disappeared into cloud which wasn't clearing around Challum although it was clearing occasionally from Ben More etc.As i got up towards the 600m mark the going got harder with deeper crusted snow that i was sinking into.
The wind now was gale force and blowing up spindrift and it was freezing.
Decisions Decisions -- Howling gale,Poor underfoot and no views on top.I think being on my own today in those conditions made the decision to call it a day an easier one.Challum will be there for another day.
by yokehead » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm
by David.Ferguson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm
by rockhopper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 pm
by Bruadair » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am
There seems to have been a few weather related toughies since weekend, and as soon as doubt creeps in then the right decision is to leave for another day....so good call......liking your last photo.
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Nov 2, 2010
- Location: South Lanarkshire
by gaffr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am
by David.Ferguson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am
Yip the wind being so strong early on yesterday was a surprise,we all know what the blast of wind is like when we finally get to some summits even on a pretty benign day,getting that blast of wind half way up i just thought the summit would be too dangerous yesterday.There were 3 x people heading through kirkton farm that i spoke to as they headed up yesterday,i would love to know if they made it.
by baggervance » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm
I knew you might be attemping a walk on Mon/Tue and when I seen the weather on Tuesday in our area I thought "That jammy Beelzebub shamen weather fiend has knocked it off again"
However some of those pictures look like pretty angry skies.
Was up An Caisteal / Beinn a'Chroin on Sat 12th (still to do reoprt) and the snow was amazing. Deep in a lot of places which made the going occasionaly tough.
No shame in turning back when you have to plough through tonnes of the soft stuff
Best of luck next time
by Graeme D » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 am
Bruadair wrote:There seems to have been a few weather related toughies since weekend, and as soon as doubt creeps in then the right decision is to leave for another day....so good call.
Yep, and Challum seems to have seen more than its fair share of 'em. Right call indeed - no summit, but a day in the hills, some nice photos and a right decent wee report. Not all bad!