walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum -- Fail

Ben Challum -- Fail

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 15/02/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh well

Full of good intentions today and was up and away for 6:30 and parked up and heading for Kirkton Farm just after 8am.
All looked good from the roadside.!!
MWIS said pretty good early but with increasing wind and some snow showers as the day went on.Headed on uphill into an increasing wind which was bitterly cold.Above what looked like 700m the hill disappeared into cloud which wasn't clearing around Challum although it was clearing occasionally from Ben More etc.As i got up towards the 600m mark the going got harder with deeper crusted snow that i was sinking into.
The wind now was gale force and blowing up spindrift and it was freezing.

Decisions Decisions -- Howling gale,Poor underfoot and no views on top.I think being on my own today in those conditions made the decision to call it a day an easier one.Challum will be there for another day.

David.

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 001.jpg
Heading to kirkton farm,all looked good at this point and at this level there was only a breeze at this point.

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 002.jpg
Ben More in early light.

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 004.jpg
Ben More 20min later,the cloud starting to roll in.

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 006.jpg
Back towards Beinn Dubhchraig

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 009.jpg
Looking uphill into the cloud and spindrift

Ben Challum-15-2-2011 012.jpg
Looking towards Ben More from the bridge over the River Fillan.Walk over for today.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Ben Challum -- Fail

Postby yokehead » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Walking conditions are certainly tough with the snow conditions, and those clouds awaiting you in the 1st 2 pics don't look welcoming :shock: . I don't see it as a fail, it's a gain in the experience store - all part of the game. If it was easy and succesful every time maybe it would be a bit mundane? :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm

I agree YH.I don't like turning back but i think the wind on top today would have been dangerous and i could have got into some bother.It was nice being out though,didn't just waist a day off from work. :)
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Looked promising at the start but that penultimate photo doesn't look nice at all. Looks like the right decision. 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruadair » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Hi David,

There seems to have been a few weather related toughies since weekend, and as soon as doubt creeps in then the right decision is to leave for another day....so good call......liking your last photo.

Regards.............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am

No problem it is never a fail its just that a visit to the summit is put off for another day. I too enjoy being out alone on the hills in winter mind you usually it is on a day of better weather than we all experienced yesterday. I thought that I could fit in a trip to one of the higher Sgoran tops with the fore-casted wind picking up stronger p.m. The big winds came before lunchtime and combined with a very varied snow surface, sometimes supporting and often not so, I realised that a alternative plan was the order of the day. Wind blown snow was being deposited on the old hard surface hence the large amounts of red showing on the 'SAIS disc' for yesterday. I settled for a minor 800 metres top and needed both poles for support until I could descend and get quickly out of the wind. Arranged plans don't always work out and as can be seen, in recent times, by the honesty of folks here on this forum not getting there is all part of the occasional day out in the hills. It's the getting back that is the important part of each trip.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby David.Ferguson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Gaffr et al

Yip the wind being so strong early on yesterday was a surprise,we all know what the blast of wind is like when we finally get to some summits even on a pretty benign day,getting that blast of wind half way up i just thought the summit would be too dangerous yesterday.There were 3 x people heading through kirkton farm that i spoke to as they headed up yesterday,i would love to know if they made it.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby baggervance » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Nae luck mate.

I knew you might be attemping a walk on Mon/Tue and when I seen the weather on Tuesday in our area I thought "That jammy Beelzebub shamen weather fiend has knocked it off again" :lol: :lol:

However some of those pictures look like pretty angry skies.

Was up An Caisteal / Beinn a'Chroin on Sat 12th (still to do reoprt) and the snow was amazing. Deep in a lot of places which made the going occasionaly tough.

No shame in turning back when you have to plough through tonnes of the soft stuff

Best of luck next time
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 am

Bruadair wrote:There seems to have been a few weather related toughies since weekend, and as soon as doubt creeps in then the right decision is to leave for another day....so good call.

Yep, and Challum seems to have seen more than its fair share of 'em. Right call indeed - no summit, but a day in the hills, some nice photos and a right decent wee report. Not all bad! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland