walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Queensberry from Forest of Ae

Queensberry from Forest of Ae

Postby iainR » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Queensberry

Date walked: 29/08/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 487m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a week of mostly rain i decided to tackle this hill via the Romans and Reivers Route through the Forest of Ae. The construction of the large wind farm here has seen the path through the forest resurfaced and greatly expanded with a branch reaching the open moorland just east of the hill itself. In theory i thought this route would avoid most of the bogs and soaking wet tussock grass at the bottom of the hill because,thanks to a chapped heel from last weeks exploits,i would be wearing my walking shoes this time out.
Car park at start__.jpg
Parking area east of Kinnelhead

Entering the forest__.jpg
The walk begins

Leaving the car at the large parking area about half a mile east of Kinnelhead i set off into the forest at a brisk pace along the hard packed gravel road where signs of recent tree felling operations were noticeable everywhere. Further along the road i passed an old discarded bridge section and walked over the more recent one which was also showing its age. Soon a road junction is reached where i turned right and began a gradual climb eventually passing a quarry which looked to be the source of all the new access roads for the wind farm.Soon after this point the road continues to climb and the turbines on Lamb Hill come into view with the top of Queensberry visible above them. The wind had really picked up here and the turbines were giving their moneys worth which was quite unsettling when i had to walk under them !
The bridges new and old__.jpg
The bridges old and older

The quarry__.jpg
The quarry

Lamb Hill turbines__.jpg
Turbines on Lamb Hill

At the top of Lamb Hill i could see Queensberry directly ahead and the point at which i had to exit the wind farm just below me.So in just over an hour i was off the road and on to the hillside.The going here was pathless and a mixture of tussocks and short cropped grass with a few boggy areas which were easily avoided.The large summit cairn eventually came into sight and this superb viewpoint really opened up.
Exit Point__.jpg
My exit point near the trees

Ascending Queensberry__.jpg
Ascending Queensberry

The Lowthers, the Moffat hills and the Galloway hills are all well represented from the top of Queensberry with the highlight for me being Criffel which really stood out over the Solway Firth.
Summit of Queensberry__.jpg
Summit of Queensberry

View back down__.jpg
The view back down

Since my ascent route kept my feet dry i just retraced my steps back down to the wind farm and reflected on a great wee hill which i should've done a long time ago.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Re: Queensberry from Forest of Ae

Postby dave munn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 pm

Was up Queensbury yesterday and followed this route to the Met Station but then foolishly decided to stick to an OS Maps route l had downloaded which continued in the forestry to more directly below summit and appeared to follow a forest break. Big mistake as break was covered in fallen trees and debris from felling operations. Returned via your route crossing Pot of Ae. Was not too wet given recent snow and rain and was back at met station in 15 minutes from summit. Underrated alternative to coming in from Mitchellslacks. Back at car park in 90 minutes all told
dave munn
Mountain Walker

Postby dave munn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:57 pm

Also meant to say a mountain bike would have made the round trip an absolute breeze
dave munn
Mountain Walker

Postby iainR » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:48 pm

Thanks for the comments, its certainly the driest route that i could find and yes, a mountain bike would make short work of the forest section.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland