walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A walk of two halves

A walk of two halves

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Date walked: 30/08/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 722m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Still restricted in what I can attempt because of my awaiting-surgery knee, I headed south to the Clyde Windfarm again to take on four Tumps to the north of the Wandel Burn - not exactly the most exciting of routes but at least I was getting out on some hills. I parked at the entrance to the windfarm just to the north of Wandel and walked up the wide road all the way over Hardrig Head, past the (interestingly named) Deil's Barn Door round to Duncangill Head. It's worth noting that the 577 trig is not the summit which is 579m, on rough ground about half a km to the east. Despite being on a road for most of the walk so far, I was still enjoying views of Tinto, Hudderstone and Culter Fell.
P1040556.JPG
Looking over Culter Fell from Duncangill Head
I had decided that, if my knee allowed, I would go off-road, as it were, to have a walk over Whiteside Hill and Devonshaw Hill on the way back to the car so, with a bit of apprehension, I headed off up the heathery hillside to reach the 440 summit of Whiteside hill. So far so good. The way over to Devonshaw looked straightforward enough but was a bit more awkward with more ups and downs than I expected but the views north along the Clyde valley made the walk worthwhile.
P1040555.JPG
On Whiteside Hill looking over to Devonshaw Hill and Tinto
Then it was a case of heading south to get back to the windfarm road. There was a bit of deep dip of the Woodend Burn to negotiate and some boggy morass and straggly heather before I reached the easy walking of the road - I say easy walking but by now it was more of a painful hobble - and I was glad to reach the car for a seat and a final snack of the day before my drive back home.
Whiteside Devenshaw Pan.JPG
Whiteside Hill and Devonshaw Hill from the windfram road

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland