walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torrid Times Day 1 - An Ruadh-stac/MCD, but where's Big Jaf?

Torrid Times Day 1 - An Ruadh-stac/MCD, but where's Big Jaf?

Postby JimboJim » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 pm

Route description: An Ruadh-stac

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 11/08/2020

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1060m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Torridon times. Yes torrid times, indeed. Only just now able to recount events :) I think this bright idea goes back to sometime in Coronavirus lockdown, about May, or so? Things beginning to look more hopeful for a wee trip so I canvassed the usual suspects, who were up for taking a gamble to book accomm on spec and keep fingers crossed all would be well with the Covid. The excellent Ledgowan bunkhouse duly booked with Big Jasper, Andrew, Bob and Lawrence, signed up for the ploy :)

Despite some worries, the due date came round, as we all set off at 5a.m., looking to rendezvous en route before taking on a hill or, two when we got there, perhaps even Liathach, if the forecast held? As always, it seems things don't quite work out as planned :) This time bad luck was to strike a blow to Andrew and Big Jasper, with a puncture only half an hour from home. Travelling separately, I was able to meet, Lawrence and Bob at the Cluanie Inn car park, as planned. The midges however, were not happy at our meeting without their permission and chased us off to Kintail Lodge to discuss options :lol: It had been a wet journey and clearly the other lads wouldn't catch up to join us, so I sold the lads an idea for them to do Maol Chean-dearg, while I consider whether to try for An Ruadh-stac, having already done MCD.
Liathach 003_1024_768.JPG
Sgorr Ruadh, rises from the fog.

Got to Coulags but, weather was still poor, so we skiddled about for a while in Lochcarron and sat in the cars a while to see if things dried up. Things dried up, but by then the midges from Cluanie caught up with us. You've got to admire them :clap: Severe! Anyway, as the last drops of rain fell, we made our way across the bridge and onto the track for MCD, generally managing to leave the midges trailing in our wake :) Had a wee look at the bothy, the Clach nan Con-fionn, as the mist lifted and we turned left for the steeper ascent to Bealach a'Choire Ghairbh, by which time I had more, or less talked myself into having a go at the Corbett.
Liathach 006_1024_768.JPG
Sgorr Ruadh.
Liathach 009_1024_768.JPG
An Ruadh-stac. A nice wee stac it is, too.

Arriving at the bealach, was a bit similar to my first time, as the view of An Ruadh-stac made one take a deep in-take of breath. I think the other lads were impressed too, although just a little concerned at me heading off to do it on my own, which I understood, but re-assured them I wouldn't challenge my comfort zone, so off they headed up the steep, scree slope while I made my way over the massive rock, to the base of the stac. Yes, impressive it is, but the slabs aren't too steep. There's also, an occasional wee pile of stones marking the way. Once or, twice I went off track, but it was easy enough to clamber back on route, taking a regular look NE, to make sure the youngsters weren't going to get to the top too much before me :)
Liathach 010_1024_768.JPG
Across the lochans to Beinn Damh.
Liathach 011_1024_713.JPG
Looking up to the summit of Maol Chean-dearg, where Lawrence and Bob were heading.
Liathach 018_1024_768.JPG
Back to Bealach a'Choire Ghairbh.
Liathach 025_1024_768.JPG
Across the bealach to Sgorr Ruadh.
Liathach 061_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Damh.
Liathach 076_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Liath Mor and MCD, an excellent day out!

Seemed to be at the top pretty quickly and just in time to watch Lawrence and Bob, make the summit of Maol Chean-dearg. It was a braw day by now, still a bit hazy, but the views are superb. After a bit of grub and a drink, it was time to head down, as the other pair were on the move! No problems on the descent and our rendezvous was near choreographed to perfection back at the bealach, all well satisfied with our hills. Bit of a hot trek back out, but the banter was great, hearing of the lads adventure to base camp Everest, raising thousands of pounds for charity and meeting a lot more folk heading up into Coire Fionnaraich, before getting back to the cars in about five and a quarter hours.
Liathach 032_1024_768.JPG
Summit, out to Lochcarron.
Liathach 039_1024_768.JPG
Looking across to the summit of MCD, with the lads striding rapdly, but not rapidly enough for the summit :)
Liathach 049_1024_768.JPG
Nearly there, chaps!
Liathach 052_1024_768.JPG
Yours truly posing at the summit.
Liathach 053_1024_768.JPG
Across to MCD, where the boys were sunbathing :)
Liathach 065_1024_768.JPG
Maol Chean-dearg, 933m.
Liathach 073_1024_768.JPG
The lochans.

By this time, Charles and Andrew had got on the road and were on their way to bag Fionn Bheinn, just to get a quick hill in. Even then, they somehow managed to take a diversion off track just to make their day complete :) And by this time we were showered up and taking full advantage of the re-fuelling facilities at Ledgowan Lodge, enjoying some fantastic hospitality, before moving on to tackle some of Bob's Birra Morretti and Lawrence's Highland Park. Perfect preparation for tomorrow's hike, which, weather playing ball, would be Liathach :shock:
Liathach 078_1024_730.JPG
On the descent.
Liathach 081_1024_768.JPG
Another view up the slabby stuff.
Liathach 083_1024_768.JPG
Lawrence and Bob, pass some folk as they descend.
Liathach 092_1024_768.JPG
Final look back.
Liathach 093_1024_768.JPG
Home, James and don't spare the horses!

Time for an early bed! :lol:
Attachments
Ciste Dhubh Maol Cheann-dearg 166_1138_800.JPG
Clach nan Con-fionn, where the legendary giant, Fionn used to tether his hunting dogs.... or, just an ancient rude gesture :)
Liathach 059_1024_768.JPG
Spidean a' Choire Leith, Liathach, beyond the summit of MCD.
Liathach 068_1024_768.JPG
Across to Liathach.
Liathach 072_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Eighe.
Liathach 075_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Alligin.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland