walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nice day on Ben Damh

Nice day on Ben Damh

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 980m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm just back from my daily jogging - another bright sunny Thursday and all I could do was running up to Lovat Bridge and back :evil: So I thought I'll update my walks diary today. A few days ago I posted the story of an accidental climb to Sgor Ruadh - now it's time for another Torridon hill just around the corner from the above mentioned :D
We climbed Ben Damh in October last year - the day was lovely, with blue sky and some breeze, perfect walking conditions. The most popular route up the mountain starts from the car park walk behind the Torridon Inn. Just around the corner of the road we dived to the left to follow a well-maintained path through rhododendrons. I tried to imagine how it must look in spring with all these shrubs covered in flowers...
The path goes steeply through the woods along the gorge, and at the height of about 200m we took a 5 min break to have a look at a pretty high waterfall (there is a "viewpoint" just off the main path).
ben damph 135.JPG
Waterfall

Once out of the woods, we could fully appreciate the scenery around us - including the familliar shapes of Beinn Alligin and Liathach:
ben damph 003.JPG
Beinn Allilgin

ben damph 007.JPG
Liathach

In good weather conditions navigation on Beinn Damh presents no challenge as there is a path all the way to the top of the ridge. The quality of the described path is another matter, though. As we charged the hill, Kevin claimed that the most appropiate name for the mountain would be Beinn DAMP, according to all the muddy and boggy ground :D Still, nothing that a stubborn cat couldn't conquer and within a short time we were standing on the broad ridge between Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire and Beinn Damh itself. And I felt like meowing again! :D :D :D
ben damph 035.JPG
Loch Damh in the morning sun

ben damph 038.JPG
Loch Damh again - views to north west

ben damph 022.JPG
Kevin testing his camera :)

Once we finished all the camera-picture business :lol: we headed straight towards the stony bulk of Beinn Damh. The path was relatively good to start with but soon it disappeared and we simply walked across the ridge, leaving the first top (868m) to our left. The route was a bit stony but still enjoyable.
ben damph 055.JPG
Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire from the northern slopes of Beinn Damh

After a couple of km the final target came into view:
ben damph 061.JPG
The target :)))

The final push uphill was rocky and quite steep, certainly not for somebody suffering from vertigo. But when we arrived on the summit, our effort was rewarded with fantastic views of Torridon around us :D
ben damph 087.JPG
Looking west from the summit

ben damph 092.JPG
Loch Torridon and Beinn Alligin

ben damph 118.JPG
Maol Chean-dearg (to the right)

ben damph 115.JPG
The ridge of Beinn Damh from the summit

ben damph 108.JPG
I felt like on top of the world... Clouds didn't bother me at alll :))

After spending about 30 minutes on the top we retraced our steps back down. We didn't hurry that much - it was such a shame to leave this magnificent torridonian world...
So beware Torridon hills - I'll be back :lol: :lol: :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Nice day on Ben Damh

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Fantasic report and photo's. I have bee wantign to climb this hill since last year . When i seen it from Maol Chean-dearg
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:98
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Stunning pictures,cant wait till I hopfully get up to this area later in the year
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Another Torridon stunner - crackin' report there BP :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:41 am

BlackPanther wrote:So beware Torridon hills - I'll be back

Sound like a great motto and philosophy for life! Great report there BP - had me sitting here dreaming of hazy summer morning vistas from the tops of mountains, with that certain feeling in the air that it's just going to be an absolute belter of a day! I missed Torridon last year - surely I cannae go a second summer without getting back up there. :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Love this report and pics, particularly like the shot of 'Maol Chean-dearg' - fantastic :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Exquisite pics and report :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Sad Wolfie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 am

Must get out and do this route. No excuses now, since my in-laws have recently moved to the Torridon area.
Sad Wolfie
Hill Bagger

Munros:59   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:7   Islands:39

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 am

Great report - the "target picture" is making me nervous from here!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 am

Hi BP,

Loved your report. Fantastic photos. So pleased that you had great weather to enjoy your adventure. 8)
pollyh33

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland